Painting/Modelling Tips and Tricks

Associate
I thought this would be a good starting point for anyone who wants to get into the Painting/Modelling side of things.

We can post step by step guides or tips tricks with pictures if you like. Or if you are new then you can ask questions on any techniques.

Should we put them all in spoilers? so that it doesn’t get too cluttered?

Nice idea.

My tip is for stripping paint. I've tried various methods - ranging from brake fluid to Dettol - and the best has been Fairy Power Spray. It doesn't melt plastic like some of the harsher methods, starts working almost straight away (20 mins can be enough on a fresh base coat), and works on plastic and metal. It will take off varnish too. Here's a pic of my zombicide Doug that I repeatedly ballsed up. He'd been painted, varnished, dull coated, painted over again, varnished and dull coated again! After leaving him soaking overnight the paint expanded out like a fat suit and he looked like this :) :

vo1u0l.jpg

For comparisons sake, this is the size he was before! (on the right)

oire6t.jpg

2 minutes of scrubbing with a paintbrush in warm water later and he was bare plastic again and ready to rock :)

Tamiya clear red and purple wash or ink makes a fabulous blood colour that's nice and glossy, add grit or plastic shavings (from where you clean mold lines) for extra gorey texture :)

Just noticed this forum so I thought I'd venture in here ...

It's been a long, long time since I did any figure painting. Eyesight isn't what it used to be so I'd struggle to get back into it. Anyway, I dug up a photo from my Photobucket album. Here it is:

Anyway, my tips are:

A good set of brushes - a good point is essential to detail work - it needs to be thin but a good point is more important.
Well illuminated area mandatory
Try out using inks
Drybrushing goes a long, long way.
Don't rush, patience is a virtue.

Excuse the crappy photo.

does anyone know of a good paint on paint stripper or if such a thing is possible. I assume not though.

Its for stripping the gold parts of my models as I believe I have found a better way to paint it now.

Modelling knife and carefully scraping it off if it's in an easy spot to get to, take your time though :) Like you get rid of any flash/seams from new models.

Back
Top Bottom