Painting over a gloss undercoat with water based paint.

Associate
Someone has painted the walls with a terrible shiny almost gloss like paint.

I have read that it may be easier to sand the current paint. Then to use an alkyd undercoat and then paint with our water based paint.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Would really appreciate the help.

Associate
OP
I think it is a silk emulsion. It just seems a lot more hardcore than anything I have come across. Multiple different versions of this seem to have been put on the wall over the years.

Using an orbital sander with 120 grit disks hardly touches it. That's why I was hoping a quick sand, clean and then primer would be enough.

Associate
You can try, from experience it might chip really easily though. Is there any paper under it so you could strip the whole wall?

Soldato
I think it is a silk emulsion. It just seems a lot more hardcore than anything I have come across. Multiple different versions of this seem to have been put on the wall over the years.

Using an orbital sander with 120 grit disks hardly touches it. That's why I was hoping a quick sand, clean and then primer would be enough.
60 or 80 grit?

Trouble with going too harsh is that you may have to fill/smooth the wall in

Last edited:
Associate
I have the exact same problem with our house purchased nearly two years ago now. He obviously loved silk emulsion slapped on everywhere even the blxxdy ceilings. I'm very slowly working round and found best action to be.
: light flat to lose high spots of dirt in paint (poor previous prep)
:Good wash
:Roll on coat of Zinserr bin 123 water based.
: Then Matt top choice.

Believe me I'm very fussy, this seems to work very well.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Tha ka so much for the information so far. When you say Zinsser water based. Does it have to be the Zinsser BIN Aqua? It seems very expensive and will cost us a fortune to do the whole house. Would one of the other Zinsser bullseye 123 products work the same?

We bought some of this today. Primer

Is that not going to be any good? Do I still need the Zinsser?

If so, are there any decent alternatives?

Thanks

Associate
Tha ka so much for the information so far. When you say Zinsser water based. Does it have to be the Zinsser BIN Aqua? It seems very expensive and will cost us a fortune to do the whole house. Would one of the other Zinsser bullseye 123 products work the same?

We bought some of this today. Primer

Is that not going to be any good? Do I still need the Zinsser?

If so, are there any decent alternatives?

Thanks
Yes the zinser 123 it's water based goes a long way it's thin. Bullseye 123

Associate
OP
So this one would do?

Associate
So this one would do?
Yes that's what I have always used anyway. I even use it after nibbing off skirting boards and anything that wants a coat of satinwood. Honestly works well. I've been told of cheaper alternatives but still stick with this.

Soldato
I've used Leyland Trade acrylic primer over gloss door before with good results.
As above, a light sanding, remove any dust, 1 or 2 coats of the APU and then matt or satinwood over the top.

Back
Top Bottom