Painting rotors

Associate
Can I just tape up the shiny bits. Rub the rusty bits to bare metal prime and paint?

Can I paint the veins?

Would this cause any imbalance?

Man of Honour
We're not in the states?
Some people are. Who cares? I asked for clarification because it was an odd question, not to enforce post-colonial identity insecurities.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to paint the lip of their brake discs / rotors. I’m interested to hear what the OP is trying to achieve.

Associate
OP
Well some people paint calipers. But the hat part of discs always gets rusty.

Since I'm there painting crap I thought why not.

Associate
OP
Associate
I've painted discs, most discs are painted these days straight from factory.

Ideally you want to mask the braking face. You also want to use a VHT paint.

I have also been lazy in the past and not bothered masking the disc braking face, it was fine, just took it easy like you would when bedding new brakes in and all was fine, though I made sure to get minimal paint on the face so was more like a light over spray.

Disks lasted around 4 years before showing signs of rust

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Call me a savage, but I brush painted the hub part of my discs with smooth silver hammerite.
Reason being, it's largely hidden behind the wheel anyway, so wouldn't be noticeable. Certainly looks a load better than the rusty mess that part of the disc invariably turns in to.
I was just going to use rattle cans because that's what I have to hand.

But yes you can see the rust if you look past the spokes hence thinking of painting them

Soldato
I was just going to use rattle cans because that's what I have to hand.

But yes you can see the rust if you look past the spokes hence thinking of painting them
The reason I didn't spray was because I couldn't get my head around accurately masking off a curved edge. My discs have a pronounced lip between the hub and the braking surface, so it was very easy to stick to that edge with a brush.

Back
Top Bottom