• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Palit Gamerock 4080 fan noise.

Associate
Anyone owns a gamerock 4080 here? Mine just arrived but I am disappointed with the fan working culture. As soon as they fire up the fans make a weird noise, like bearing or mechanical whirling. It's mostly 1 and 3rd fan.
I tried to set the fans manually and as soon as they go off 0rpm mode the noise happens, when I set it back to auto it's immediately silent even if fans obviously still spin but are not powered anymore.
I'm contemplating just returning it for full refund. Guess I should have known better and avoid Palit, but i also don't want to pay 100-200 more for Asus or gigabyte so I guess I'll just stick with a 3080.

Soldato
Anyone owns a gamerock 4080 here? Mine just arrived but I am disappointed with the fan working culture. As soon as they fire up the fans make a weird noise, like bearing or mechanical whirling. It's mostly 1 and 3rd fan.
I tried to set the fans manually and as soon as they go off 0rpm mode the noise happens, when I set it back to auto it's immediately silent even if fans obviously still spin but are not powered anymore.
I'm contemplating just returning it for full refund. Guess I should have known better and avoid Palit, but i also don't want to pay 100-200 more for Asus or gigabyte so I guess I'll just stick with a 3080.
Got exactly the same problem on my 4090 FE, Nvidia have accepted an RMA and it ships back to Hong Kong today.

Its all still mass produced consumer electronics at the end of the day paying 100-200 more doesn't save you from these quality issues nor does it mean there are better quality checks you are buying a GPU not a Ferrari a point often lost on some forum members.

Associate
OP
Got exactly the same problem on my 4090 FE, Nvidia have accepted an RMA and it ships back to Hong Kong today.

Its all still mass produced consumer electronics at the end of the day paying 100-200 more doesn't save you from these quality issues nor does it mean there are better quality checks you are buying a GPU not a Ferrari a point often lost on some forum members.
I get, while I don't agree with your statement. I never had an issue like this with a GPU and I found more people having the same problem with gamerock both 4080 and 4090, exactly the same noise which tells me it's just "by design" and techpowerup review noticed that problem as well. I can see some people being ok with it however I'm not as it's really noticeable.
If it would be a single unit defect I would probably replace it but all I found points out this is just how it behaves due to poor fans or power delivery to motors.
Anyway I got my RMA ticket so will refund it.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
When I had my 4090 version it was so so quite no coil whine really good card, just didn't fit the case so got a fe instead

Caporegime
Yes, as much as it pains me to say it as the man who put Gamecock on the map, their fans do have this weird mechanical whirling sound. It's unfortunate, because the actual cooler is great performance wise.

EDIT - Ah, see I already commented earlier in the thread. Damn you for necroing this old thread @Dawes7 :cry:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom