Pan Am 103 bombing conviction to be reviewed

Capodecina
Soldato
A review of now dead Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's conviction for the Lockerbie bombing is to be carried out by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission. The commission said it would examine the case to decide whether it would be appropriate to refer the matter for a fresh appeal. al-Megrahi was jailed for 27 years in 2001 for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 which killed 270 people.

al-Megrahi died six years ago!
The many legal vultures involved will be generously compensated before they move on to consider the tricky case of Cain's murder of Abel.

For those people who know nothing at all about this, here is the BBC Link.

I believe that the decision to reinvestigate the conviction has been reached because al-Megrahi's family requested it.

al-Megrahi had been granted the right to appeal before he was released on "compassionate" grounds. It is suggested that he was only released because the British Government didn't want the appeal to go ahead.

The whole investigation and the prosecution case absolutely stink. It was investigated extensively by Paul Foot years ago.

The truth is most unlikely to come out in our lifetimes.

why bother wasting time and resources now on this case now he's dead....
Here's a summary of the case:

UK: We need the person responsible!
Libya: Here's a person!
UK: Is that the right person?
Libya: It's A person!
UK: We need the right person!
Libya: No you need a result for political reasons.
UK: Valid point, hand him over for conviction *cough* I mean trial, *lol*.

The case was due to be appealed before his release on compassionate grounds (totally no connection there).

His family are simply trying to clear his name and prove he was just a stooge for Gadaffi and the Blair government.

why bother wasting time and resources now on this case now he's dead....

Because if he didn't do it then the person(s) who did might still be alive, but currently free of the consequences.

I should point out that pretty much every clued-up source says that the bombing was carried out by Syrians hired by Iran, but the US wanted to blame Libya for something and this was convenient.

Do I believe he did it? No idea, other than he was previously convicted in court. So presumably there was enough evidence.

But he, or his family now, should be afforded every right to challenge that conviction in line with our legal system.

Here's a summary of the case:

UK: We need the person responsible!
Libya: Here's a person!
UK: Is that the right person?
Libya: It's A person!
UK: We need the right person!
Libya: No you need a result for political reasons.
UK: Valid point, hand him over for conviction *cough* I mean trial, *lol*.

The case was due to be appealed before his release on compassionate grounds (totally no connection there).

His family are simply trying to clear his name and prove he was just a stooge for Gadaffi and the Blair government.
Absolute agreement here. Even many Lockerbie families where unhappy with the conviction of this guy. Appeasing the Americans was high on the list rather than a thorough investigation.

He was always just a fall guy for Blair to look good and Gaddafi to get some loosening of sanctions or something.

It's going to get expensive but if I was a family member i'd want it to be investigated now two faced Tony is out of office and Gaddafi is gone.

Why isn't there a conspiracy theory bandwagon for this.

It's got everything you'd want, coverup by government, foreign powers, intelligence agencies, the legal system, twisted motives and best of all, it's probably true.

Why isn't there a conspiracy theory bandwagon for this.

It's got everything you'd want, coverup by government, foreign powers, intelligence agencies, the legal system, twisted motives and best of all, it's probably true.

your last words explain why the tin foil nutters aren't on this one

your last words explain why the tin foil nutters aren't on this one

Bloody useless CT's.

Entire business seems to be about finding life purpose from being ostracised for thinking "differently" rather than pursuing actual injustice.

Reminds me of some thoughts about mormon missionaries where the obligation to go on a year or more of horribly awkward door knocking was described as less to do with converting anyone than enforcing a feeling of being excluded by non-mormons and included by mormons.

Paul Foot wrote a book called "Lockerbie: The flight from justice" about the tragic downing of Pan Am flight 103. I read it years ago and personally I am not at all surprised at the latest finding.

I suspect that far more is known about this than any of us will ever get to hear. Look up Vincennes and Gaddafi+Sanctions in connection with Pan Am 103.

Back
Top Bottom