Parallels on two machines allowed?

Associate
Hello guys,
If I buy Parallels am I allowed to use it on two macs or is a separate copy for each required (I reckon)? Please don't flame me for pirating/cheap-skating - I will buy a copy if needed - I just want to know if you CAN install on a couple of machines please?

Happy New Year, Steve

Soldato
You need to buy a license for each Mac, ref their knowledge base article #4824 and the eula Section 1.2 (the latter of which indicates in section 2.1 that if you run it on more machines then they will charge the credit card used for you original purchase for the extra license(s))

Soldato
If you read the EULA and the FAQ on their site (even a thread on their forum asks this and the official response is..) that the licence is for the person not a installed seat.

I would contact Parallels and ask them directly rather than ask a public forum.

My interpretation (based on the answer given on their site and their FAQ) is that I, personally, can use my Parallels 6 on my Mac Mini and my MBP. Having two people use them is not allowed.

Associate
You could wait until the Mac App Store opens on the 6th and see if Parallels is on there, then you will be able to install it on all your Macs.

Commissario
I asked them this with the previous version and was told that I could use it on all the Macs I own, the licence was for me, not the machine I'd installed it on.

Soldato
Well that would appear to be the opposite of the eula on their site which talks about the license being for a single system and the number of systems it is used on not exceeding the number of license keys. You may be able read that the license being "per user" but that only appears to be the case if you have multiple users?

Ref section 1.2 of the eula on their website

http://www.parallels.com/uk/about/eula/

Commissario
They appear to now have changed their tune, I opened a live chat via the website and asked the question, only to be told that I have to have a key for each computer. Oh well, I'm only running it on one box at the moment anyway.

Whenever I've wanted to run software on more than one box I've emailed the company, this is the first one who's told me that I need extra licence keys for each computer.

Soldato
Which is odd as they have stated on their forums as per Feeks and my understanding..

Hmm only have P6 installed on the mini atm.. oddly I researched this and one of the only reasons I upgraded was because it stated that I could run it on my MBP too..

1.2. Scope of Use. You may use one copy of the Software activated by a license key on a single server (virtual or physical) owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by you. If you have multiple license keys for the Software, you may make and use as many copies of the Software as you have license keys. For purposes of this Agreement, "use" of the software means loading the Software into the temporary or permanent memory of a computer. Installation of the Software on a network server solely for distribution to other computers is not "use" of the Software, and is permitted, as long as you have a license key for each server (virtual or physical) to which the Software is distributed. The Software may not be used on or distributed to a greater number of computers than you have license keys. If you use or distribute the Software to multiple users, you must ensure that the number of users does not exceed the number of license keys you have obtained, or you will be in breach of this Agreement.
Source: EULA

So it appears now you have to have a key for each machine it's installed on.

As ^187 has stated, it will be interesting to see how Apple's T&C for the MacStore work with this. If it's like the AppStore then you're licence is to the person (ie their authorised account) which means up to 5 installations on various authorised devices. Question is will that now, will that change to 1 installation or will Parallels not bother with the MacStore?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom