Paralympic Athletics

Is there high jump competition for dwarfs?

I get the feeling you are trying to troll, but in case you're not the high jump has 2 classifications, F42 and F46.

The F jsut means it's a 'Field' event the numbers are explained here...

F42 Athletes with a moderate impairment in one leg or the loss of limbs. They have to adjust for asymmetric balance; in the running pattern for jumping and javelin and across the throwing circle in shot and discus

F45/F46 Athletes with a moderate impairment in one or both lower arms or the loss of limbs

Pistorius only gets silver in the 200m, although sounds as though there is some controvesy regarding the length of the winners (and other peoples) blades. Seems people are making them longer to increase stride length.

Yea it certainly was out of character for Oscar.

It did look as though they were a bit long with regards to his build, but guess you have to hope the organisation in charge know what they are doing.

I think he said that they had tried to get something done about it before the race and hadn't been listened to. Perhaps he felt that the only way he would get anywhere would be by bringing it up with so many people watching.

I thought that too, might feel he has nothing to lose by making it more public if he feels there is definitely an issue.

...be correctly sized for the athelete like an everyday prosthetic (not just conform to some set sizes but be correct for the man) thus negating and artificial advantage a competitor can have over another.

I think this was part of what Oscar was alluding too when he said atheletes were turning and being way taller than they were previously.

Hopefully it'll get sorted one way or another and won't shift the focus too much from the actual events.

What about the events where some people turn up with one leg, one blade, and others have two blades?

I was watching Richard Whitehead win his event, and thinking surely he has a massive advantage on two perfectly equal blades, when half the other guys have one bouncy quick blade and one normal leg.

They are different classififcations, so in theory you could finish last but still break a world record for your classification.

They race against each other as the advantages/disadvantages tend to even out, the athletes with 2 prosthetics are traditionally much poorer at the starts but quicker once they get into their stride.

For some events, more usually the field events, they use a points system to even it up, so you could get a lesser distance but with a more severe disability and win the competition.

That is a great picture :D

Really looking forward to the 100m tonight and it's not even the finals... Pistorius' rematch with the Brazilian and GBs Johnny Peacock thrown in the mix too :D

Womens 100m final tonight too for T42.

Edit: Peacock looking fast indeed there!

Pistorius also looked good, with a great start, something he isn't known for.

Last edited:
Not too long to go now before the 100m final.

Before that is David Weir in the 800m going for his third gold.

Been a good night so far with Hannah Cockcroft getting another gold, hopefully it'll get even better :)

Edit: Weir wins, gold number 3!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom