Paris Olympics 2024

Yep I agree here, football is an odd one, its on TV for most of the year so its not something I bothered to watch or care about in the olympics personally, same for Tennis and Golf, Just had Wimbledon weeks before, and winning grand slams and Majors, I would think is a much bigger thing for the players.
Think Scottle and Novak might disagree with you here. The two best players in their sport have both said its one of the highlights of their careers winning gold and both were bought to tears in doing so.

Yeah I'm with you on some of this. Dancing isn't a sport, it's a nonsense that it's in the Olympics. Golf simply isn't athletic enough imho for the Olympics - I'd like to see something interesting like Kabaddi replace it.
So if golf isn't athletic enough then you need to bin all shooting, archery

Got round to watching the closing ceremony

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Nice to see they couldn't get the sound mix right either.

Good job I'm not epileptic.

Last edited:
Getting bombarded by Raygunn memes. This is some sort of grift right?

Part of a larger grift colloquially referred to as "woke" or "wokism".

Her PhD is an "auto-ethnography"; basically some glorified journalling passed off as academic work (woke types love it though). She seems to have set up the relevant governing body for break dancing in Australia and there are unconfirmed reports re: her husband's involvement too.

No doubt there will be "academic" papers published by her relating to her Olympic experience and the reaction to it... presumably, she'll find some ways to make it about the patriarchy and racism and colonialism and capitalism etc.

It's a bit of a farce as she didn't even try, she just used or rather abused her place to make some weirdo political statement, likely to create a bit of publicity for herself/her career as a woke grifter and some material for her "studies".

At least the likes of Eddie the Eagle legitimately qualified and made his best effort, tried to compete to the best of his ability, despite clearly having little hope. People can respect that when someone tries or indeed people love to see some competitor from a small, barely known country with very few athletes qualified still put in the effort to complete the marathon or whatever despite being in last place and far behind the rest.

The counter to that is when someone from a corrupt country, say the daughter of a general in a dictatorship, competes and is noticeably bad. It's no longer the underdog trying it's the privileged idiot who shouldn't be there. And frankly, this woman comes across as a privileged idiot, not only did not try but there are now also questions re: whether she should have had that place to begin with or whether it should have rightly gone to another competitor from Australia's break dancing community.

Wow.

Well, to redress that, back in 2012, we had an Olympic Fit Tottie thread (it's in the archive if anyone wants to go look for it), it would probably be considered inappropriate nowadays. However, I personally thought that the fit tottieness level had been raised to a new level these games ;)

I think people are reading far too deeply into this Raygun stuff. By all accounts the procedure to get her to the olympics was a bit of a mess but I think she genuinely tried her best and for someone who clearly has very little talent for breakdancing, she did OK. It was hilarious but thats about it really. She had the swagger and the confidence to pull that routine and I can't help but be impressed by that alone.

I completely understand the **** taking but the more personal attacks and nastiness are entirely unnecessary.

say what you want about Raygun, but no-one is talking about who ever won the gold metal, but they are talking about her. And thanks to her, every drunk Dad/Uncle at wedding for the next ten years are going to think they can Break dance

Discovery+ app is annoying was trying to catch up on climbing
they removed all of the neat categorisation of the olympics sports via the icons, and they have nothing but round up programs,
the olympics stuff isn't filed under the general sports category either
you have to search for the event using general search mechanism,
and then it never remembers and allows you to later continue watching, and I don't see any way to mark programs you want to watch.

Back
Top Bottom