• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Associate
I have had my GTX 1080 less than 3 weeks but will be buying a Titan immediately and selling my 1080.
I am lucky to have enough cash, so does that make me stupid because I am in a fortunate position to do so?
Why not? Pointless purchases to fuel the market leader that is already crushing the competition and a short lived upgrade that had no use? No one really expects anything from people so no one is going to expect you to care but if you asked me then yeah I'd say it's stupid :p

Give that.money to charity, try something different, be patient enough to wait 2 months or any other better option but as I said, it's stupid but we don't really expect any less. If we rationalise it then yes it's stupid but it's only.being mentioned as you asked :p

Soldato
Why are people so desperate for HBM2? Is it really going to magically tranform the performance of these cards? What evidence is there that HBM is currently making a substantial difference, if any?

I'm all for the latest tech, but what's the point if there's no software out there yet to fully utilise it.

Associate
just out of curiosity, are you getting it for 4k gaming?

as for your question, no, some people really need to learn to mind their own business, that's all

I am jumping to 1440p. If the new Titan can keep above 60fps on the majority of the latest titles then I will jump to 4k. I am on the fence until I see the gaming benchmarks.

On the flipside, on my 1080p monitor I am running most games at 100/120/144fps vsynced and it is so smooth compared to 60fps so you can still bring the big cards down to their knees especially if you throw DSR in the mix. This is why I never felt the need to jump to higher res monitors just yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is this

a) called Titan X?

and

b) not carrying the "Geforce" branding?

a) Titan X will probably be a brand. I find it silly too.
b) Because it's an INT8 and probably FP16 performance compute card more than it's a gaming card, even though it's the woeld's best gaming card.

Associate
Why is this

a) called Titan X?

and

b) not carrying the "Geforce" branding?

Pure speculation obviously but if they release two versions of the Titan then calling this the Titan lite or Almost a Titan doesn't quite cut it. Also calling it the 1080ti wouldn't make business sense at the price they want to charge for it sooo they lose the Geforce part of the name which most people might not notice and there you have a "Titan X " playing on the brand so to speak which they will use to there full advantage till the full fat version is released later.

Associate
This is Ti specs but because AMD haven't shown anything with speed then Nvidia can name the Ti the titan. and charge Titan money. Same as they have done with the 1080. All their cards have dropped down a range because AMD haven't kept up

Last edited:
Associate
This is Ti specs but because AMD haven't shown anything with speed then Nvidia can name the Ti the titan. and charge Titan money. Same as they have done with the 1080. All their cards have dropped down a range because AMD haven't kept up

Exactly, could this therefore mean there will be no 1080 Ti?

Soldato
Why are people so desperate for HBM2? Is it really going to magically tranform the performance of these cards? What evidence is there that HBM is currently making a substantial difference, if any?

I'm all for the latest tech, but what's the point if there's no software out there yet to fully utilise it.

Yes I agree, with HBM2 the card would be smaller and slightly lower TDP, but other than that I do not think having 1Gb/s bandwidth is going to make much difference over 384bit G5x with 480Gb/s bandwidth. Everyone seems to think that adding HBM will magically make the card much faster.

I think the main problem with the titan X, will not be anything to do with memory bandwidth, that is ok, but it will be the founders edition cooler on 250w card.

Last edited:
Soldato

Because they're like school kids with peer pressure, if Joe Bloggs' card has HBM then they must have it, regardless of whether it makes any difference.

Soldato
So has anyone commented on the availability yet? Are people basically going to have to clamber over the NVIDIA site come August 2nd if there's any chance of getting one? Is this permanent or will UK stockists get some?

Soldato
So has anyone commented on the availability yet? Are people basically going to have to clamber over the NVIDIA site come August 2nd if there's any chance of getting one? Is this permanent or will UK stockists get some?

Given shortages of last gen Titan X at launch I'd say just go for it as fast as you can.

Associate
Yes I agree, with HBM2 the card would be smaller and slightly lower TDP, but other than that I do not think having 1Gb/s bandwidth is going to make much difference over 384bit G5x with 480Gb/s bandwidth. Everyone seems to think that adding HBM will magically make the card much faster.

I think the main problem with the titan X, will not be anything to do with memory bandwidth, that is ok, but it will be the founders edition cooler on 250w card.

For me the number one advantage (and it's why the small powerful nano is my fave card) is that it keeps the size and footprint of the card down! All the added performance benefits are secondary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom