Passport Renewal - Should I Let it Expire?

Soldato
Hi all,

I had hoped to lose some COVID weight before taking a photo for my passport renewal, but that didn't work out. Passport expires this month.

If I let it expire, is it more hassle to renew than it would be while it is still active? For example, if it expires do I have to have photos signed and prove I am who I am?

Tbf I'm not as bothered anymore about taking a fat pic but thought I'd ask.

03/08/2021 - Update on this:

My passport did end up expiring in May.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to get my photo taken in a booth in our local Tesco. I had the code sent to me via email and used it in my renewal application.

Renewing the passport was so easy. It was quickly done online. All I had to do was send them my old passport. Sent on 28th July, received new, dark blue passport yesterday, 2nd August. To me that is an impressive turnaround, considering there was a weekend in there.

New passports look good. I had to sign mine, I don't remember doing that for the EU passport.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Cooler running strange thing is I am IF and have been for a while. My meds don't seem to help as weight gain is a side effect. Really my IF is more like OMAD at 20+ hours of fasting. But yeah I see your point. I was bothered a lot when I thought of renewing my passport. I kinda still am, but I am also starting to settle for the idea that my passport photo will be chunky me but hopefully by the time we go away somewhere I will have shed some weight.

But the burning question is this: is it any more difficult to renew a passport that expired a few months ago, compared to renewing a passport that is still active and valid?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update on this:

My passport did end up expiring in May.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to get my photo taken in a booth in our local Tesco. I had the code sent to me via email and used it in my renewal application.

Renewing the passport was so easy. It was quickly done online. All I had to do was send them my old passport. Sent on 28th July, received new, dark blue passport yesterday, 2nd August. To me that is an impressive turnaround, considering there was a weekend in there.

New passports look good. I had to sign mine, I don't remember doing that for the EU passport.

Soldato
OP
My last one came with my signature pre-printed on it because I’d physically signed the paper application form. Now that it’s all done online, there’s no signature for them to scan and print.

You're right. I seem to remember my old one had it printed on.

Something I'm not so sure about is opening the front page to see my mug peeping through a 50p shaped window :eek:

Soldato
OP
Nope at post office we can do expired ones as well, no different to in date ones

It's all sorted now - post #51. I have also updated the first post.

As you mentioned, it was really straightforward and incredibly easy. I didn't get it done in Post Office, just photo from a booth and applied online. They must have processed it all as soon as they received my old passport as I received the new one incredibly quick.

Soldato
OP
Does that work for Brits living abroad or does it need to be customer present? My UK passport ran out a year or two ago and while its mostly useless compared to my NZ one it would be a nice to have.

Providing the passport office will post to your address abroad then I don't see why not.

With the photo code my application was online and I sent the old passport in the post, received the new passport within 3 working days.

If in doubt, Brits living abroad should speak to the embassy/consulate

Soldato
OP
Just received my old passport today (4 days after receiving new passport) with a slip saying my application is being processed and new passport will be with me soon.

Now that is what I call service :p

Soldato
OP
Anyone that renewed their passport online, how long did the passport office take to acknowledge receipt of your old passport?

edit: @Cadder I see you did yours online. Do you recall how long it took for them to acknowledge they received your old passport?

Online application completed 28th July
Old Passport Received Email 30th July
Application Approved 30th July

Soldato
OP
Great thanks. I sent my passport by special delivery and was signed for but no acknowledgment for a few days, guess they might be quite busy at the moment

What's your timeline looking like? My passport was processed really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom