Password 8-255 characters

Soldato
Just bought something from the Samsonite website and when creating an account it asks for a password that's 8-255 characters long. I'm not that much of an expert on these things but that sounds like they're storing passwords unencrypted as TINYTEXT.

Would there be any other reason why you would set a limit on password lengths? I know some companies set a limit of say 16, but I assume that's to make people choose memorable ones to get less password reset requests. But 255 seems oddly coincidental!

Associate
I would do a "forgot my password" and see what comes back. Either way it does strike me as a bit suspicious.

Soldato
Edit: nevermind being thick :D.

I do hate when websites limit your password length. Companies house is horrific for not allowing special characters.

Last edited:
Soldato
A developer likely just picked a number they liked for the width of a database column :)

"Funny" characters often get excluded because people are too thick/lazy/paranoid to handle SQL injections attacks properly - and writing a regular expression to check for things like sequences of funny characters gets error-prone really fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
This would suggest that the passwords are not being hashed, which was the OP's point.

Doh ! I meant input field size, honest. 255 should be more than enough even for people using things like key pass to generate random passwords. Usual way to tell for sure is go to the password reset screen and see if you get your original back.

Back
Top Bottom