Password protecting files for download- recommendations

Associate
Hi,
My partner has a training consultancy and now wishes to have her training files on her website for clients to download.
She wishes to have each file individually password protected with seperate links etc to their location.
I'm not sure what the best approach would be! It has to be as simple as possible and quite accessable so she can get used to uploading files etc.
I'm tempted to just password protect the actual files and then link to them through a log in page, but i was also thinking of a good reliable file hosting/sharing service?
Any of you avail of any file services for your business?

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Steve.

The simplest way to go to space is to strap yourself to a really big firework.

Not at all. It would be very difficult to design a single stage solid fuel rocket that would do that. Not to mention the tensile strength of the straps. Much simpler to ask someone else for a lift.

thanks for the replies :)
I was actually thinking of a wordpress site to run along her main one.
The files are quite important, and if they got into the wrong hands could be altered and used by the other businesses.

Add the files as blob fields in a database, and then just code in the access to them.

Or, if you're using a .net application, you can use asp.net membership to restrict access to certain folders on your site to a given usergroup. Only registered (and paid) users will then have membership to this group.

htaccess and htpasswd won't suffice?

My first thought but not particularly maintainable for her I'd have though.

Or, if you're using a .net application, you can use asp.net membership to restrict access to certain folders on your site to a given usergroup. Only registered (and paid) users will then have membership to this group.

Pretty sure ASP.Net membership only works against ASP.Net files so it's a little more involved than just that. Not unachievable though.

Why not archive the files using 7Zip since it uses AES encryption which will take years to break into. You can then upload them to somewhere like Rapidshare which is SSL encrypted and the only way people can download the files is to know the exact link so nobody can gain access unless you allow it.

Stoner81.

Back
Top Bottom