password reset Win 7? Don't know original password

Soldato
https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/reset-windows-7-password-with-command-prompt.html

Use method 3.

As long as she's not encrypted any folders, it will work perfectly.

Haha. It's the way I would normally do it however it has genuine Windows on it and I do not have the disc currently so was looking for an immediate solution.

Same thing happened to me back in January with my sister old PC, my nephew wanted to recovered all his photos and videos since 2010 but he forget his password and I no longer had Windows 7 disc.

https://softlay.net/operating-system/windows-7-download.html

That softlay site seemed safe and I used it to downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium iso and burned to a DVDRW disc and booted to Windows 7 installation screen and opened command prompt, used above method 3 to renamed Utilman.exe to cmd.exe. Then booted and succeed reset my nephew and all users passwords.

Associate
Why don't you just boot into the command line and then user the netuser command?

If I remember correctly it would be netuser <username> *

It should then ask you to type a new password then repeat it, job done. RE-boot and login with that password.

Soldato
Why don't you just boot into the command line and then user the netuser command?

If I remember correctly it would be netuser <username> *

It should then ask you to type a new password then repeat it, job done. RE-boot and login with that password.

Yeah I tried that back in January on my sister old PC but it didnt worked.

Soldato
OP
Ended up booting on DVD and resetting the laptop.
Not ideal but hey ho.

Now I've had someone get in touch with me about Windows 10 and same problem? But from the answers I've seen that sticky key has been patched?

Soldato
OP
That's correct, if the laptop is on 1903 it's patched so you can't reset it by the sticky key method.

Can I hook it up to my laptop and get data from it? They have files they want to keep. They never set a password but a password has been set so it may be a virus which I've dealt with a few times and eventually managed to undo by editing registry etc.

Permabanned
Can I hook it up to my laptop and get data from it? They have files they want to keep. They never set a password but a password has been set so it may be a virus which I've dealt with a few times and eventually managed to undo by editing registry etc.

Take the drive out of it and stick it into a caddy USB converter. What is your location? Some one might be able to help locally from here if you don't have one or can't buy one.

Back
Top Bottom