Patriot RAM?

Associate
Patriot 4GB Kit PC6400 800MHz 5-5-5-12

AND

Patriot 2GB (2x1GB) PC7200 900MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Anyone heard anything about patriot ram? in particular the modules above.

Would like to run at around 900Mhz. Is it worth the little extra for 4gb over 2gb of the slightly faster stuff??

thanks

i'm thinking of an upgrade
i've seen these 2 or 4 gig sets at a good price and was wondering the same thing, i have patriot 3200 xblk now and that stuff flies :) so if its as good as the old stuff then i'll be getting some

matthew2456 said:
Patriot 4GB Kit PC6400 800MHz 5-5-5-12

AND

Patriot 2GB (2x1GB) PC7200 900MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Anyone heard anything about patriot ram? in particular the modules above.

Would like to run at around 900Mhz. Is it worth the little extra for 4gb over 2gb of the slightly faster stuff??

thanks
Well, they are cheap they run at 1T on boards like the Abit AB9 QuadGT, not sure if they overclock well but someone I know has these 2x2gb Patriot sticks & he's going to let me know what the highest clock he can get out of them.

I'll keep you posted or actually he may see this post & give you his own answer. :)

There are a lot of reviews of Patriot ram with links to them on their official website. I just ordered 2GB PC6400 ram from Patriot and from what i have read it can go up to 1000mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings.

OK - I have the infamous 4Gb PC6400 kit and it doesn't overclock well at all. I can get 410FSB on the QuadGT and after that it's one long beeeeeeeep, so it's maybe not the kit for anyone who doesn't have an E6600 or an NVidia BIOS :p

That said they do run PC6400 at 5-5-5-15 which is what it says on the box. And my lot will run 1T at that so I'm quite chuffed.

That said - maybe mine are carp clockers and you may fare better.

Yes, but surely you see that the 2Gb kit and the 4GB kit use totally different RAM chips and that the probability of the 4Gb chips being speed binned above their rated capacity is much less while they are rare.

The 2Gb will probably clock to 500MHz+, but the 4Gb kit I have is a poor clocker unfortunately.

WJA96 said:
Yes, but surely you see that the 2Gb kit and the 4GB kit use totally different RAM chips and that the probability of the 4Gb chips being speed binned above their rated capacity is much less while they are rare.

The 2Gb will probably clock to 500MHz+, but the 4Gb kit I have is a poor clocker unfortunately.
Not possible to relax the latencies further?

4GB (2x2GB DIMMs) kits seem to be something of a leap of faith atm due to poor review coverage.

I myself have this dilema, and on paper at least I'm thinking the more expensive Kingston HyperX (KHX6400D2LLK2/4G) is a better prospect 4-4-4-12 at 1.9v

Which to me suggests there is a bit or room for some increased frequency.

I also read some conflicting feedback on another retail site about the overclocking ability of the G.Skill PQ Series 4GB kit... one person claims great OC another says there is no 4GB kit on the market that OC's well.

Tricky.....

BigBANGtheory said:
4GB (2x2GB DIMMs) kits seem to be something of a leap of faith atm due to poor review coverage.

In terms of guaranteed overclocking, you could level the same accusation at the GeIL ULL PC6400 kit. I've seen people claim 1000MHz and others struggle to get 860MHz. Even with Crucial Anniversaries - legendary overclocking RAM, mine will 'only' do 1250MHz, whereas I have seen people claiming 1360MHz stable with 2.5V. There really are no guarantees with overclocking :(

BigBANGtheory said:
I myself have this dilema, and on paper at least I'm thinking the more expensive Kingston HyperX (KHX6400D2LLK2/4G) is a better prospect 4-4-4-12 at 1.9v

Which to me suggests there is a bit or room for some increased frequency.

I also read some conflicting feedback on another retail site about the overclocking ability of the G.Skill PQ Series 4GB kit... one person claims great OC another says there is no 4GB kit on the market that OC's well.

Tricky.....

Yes, there's no guarantee two kits have the same RAM chips in them, or even the same manufacturer of RAM chips. If you need PC8000 or PC8500 then it is always better to buy RAM rated at that in the first place, as an overclock should be a joyous freebie, not something you complain about when you can't get it. That's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.

Problem here is there are no 4GB kits officially rated above PC6400 from what I have seen so you are reliant on hardware reviews to hopefully explain what the DIMMS are capable of without experimenting yourself.

Under normal circumstances I would agree and the whole 2 x 1GB DIMM configuration has well been well published so there is very little risk in your purchasing descisions there.

*Update : oopps talking ******, it seems Mushkin do an 8500 4GB kit but is it available to buy anywhere. :eek:

Last edited:
Has anyone else had experience with Patriot ram? I have been reading mixed views on the type i got (2GB PC6400). Most review sites like it, but some individuals say to stay away from it.

Back
Top Bottom