Pay question

Associate
So, i work for the council, my job role is non driver basic labourer blah blah.

There are people who drive the works vans and do exactly the same job but get £4000 a year more then me just because they drive.

Now, i took on a brand new role at work which involves driving a quad bike and spraying weeds.
For this role we needed specific training in using chemicals at work even tho the stuff we use is safe, it still requires the certificate to use it at work and pass a few tests.

I was told in the "interview" that i wouldn't get any more money.

When sunny we use herbicide, mixing and calculating how much to use, we drive these quads everywhere, live main roads, grassed areas and of course public pavments and they're capped to 20mph.

On a windy/rainy day, we get giving keys to a van and do odd jobs. Litter pick the borough, empty bins, scrape the weeds we just killed a couple of weeks ago.

Also, when we cant get the quads in a tight spot, we jump in a van and back pack spray these bits at a later date.

So, i seen a union fella standing about outside work and asked him why i'm on the lower rate.

He said "well you're driving so you shouldn't be, leave it with me"

I kinda forgot all about it and when i finished and got back to the yard, my supervisor pulled me to the side, clearly unhappy i seen the union, he wasnt nasty or anything but said from now on we wont be driving the vans anymore.
He also said that, because we were told we wouldn't get any more money in the interview, theres nothing he can do?.

Is that even a thing?.

So now we are waiting for my manager to return from holidays so we can have a meeting which i can guarentee will end with him saying "no more money"

Tbh, it made the job a lot better being able to do different things different days but i feel it'll be more pain for them trying to transport us then just paying us the higher rate and letting us do what we've been doing last 4 months which we have been doing a good job, both roles of weed killing and odd jobs.

Do i have a leg to stand on or have i just shot myself in the foot?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like they'll need to weigh up the costs of transporting you all about, versus paying you all that bit extra to transport yourselves around.

I guess this is just going to be a case of playing hardball, if your contract/job description mentions that the council is responsible for getting you around sites, then insist that they stick to their ruling.

Associate
OP
spoke to the union today, going to arrange a meeting the week after next to see whats what with the manager. I don't really like being thrown in the air.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom