Paying parents rent!

Kell_ee001 said:
Well that depends - who owns the house?

I've lived with my parents and for a while my parents lived with me. I paid them rent but they didn't pay me. They've spend enough already tbh. :)
Well they think of it this way
We all own the house, its a family house and we all live in it.

English culture would probbably say
My parents own the house and I live in it.

Techincally their parents own the house, but its pretty much the 2 brothers house.

jamoor said:
Well they think of it this way
We all own the house, its a family house and we all live in it.

See that is comepletely different. Whoever is living in the property that doesn't own it should pay rent. From your point of view they all own it so no-one pays someone else, but from my point of view it's my parents house and so I pay them to live there. :)

Kell_ee001 said:
See that is comepletely different. Whoever is living in the property that doesn't own it should pay rent. From your point of view they all own it so no-one pays someone else, but from my point of view it's my parents house and so I pay them. :)
but thats the difference, their parents never thought that they owned the house, they always thought that they all own the house.

I pay my mum rent and im glad i do. if she earned a lot of money i might of thought it was wrong (me being her son and all) but the simple fact is she doesnt earn anywhere near that kind of money, infact she earns very little. So im more than happy to pay her rent now im out of full time education

Ah well, this thread answers one of life's little mysteries i.e. how so many young Asian guys can afford big flash sports cars!

Though the extended family in one house wasnt uncommon in this country 100 years ago and if house prices continue the way they are then we might well see it returning, and from a community sense it isnt without its positive aspects

jamoor said:
The parents, but they were buying it for everyone, that's where the difference is!

Not a million miles from what mine are doing, although me my brother and sister no longer live in it my folks have invested in a property that they intend to pass on one day. We could live there rent free if we wanted but it would drive me up the wall :D

jamoor said:
The parents, but they were buying it for everyone, that's where the difference is!
Not all parents can afford such luxuries for their children so you should believe that many charge their children rent when they are old enough to pay their own way:)

M0KUJ1N said:
Ah well, this thread answers one of life's little mysteries i.e. how so many young Asian guys can afford big flash sports cars!

True, and quite a few white people in their 20s as well... :) Easy to afford a flash motor if you're living with your mummy and daddy.

£70 a month is nothing... a mere £17 a week for bed and breakfast (and lunch and tea). Can't really complain about that, you're just giving a little back and it's more than fair. :)

Johnny Girth said:
Exactly. It's disgusting. My parents wouldn't even consider it. In fact I find it abhorrent that parents would treat their children that way.

The money isn't the issue. My parents certainly don't 'need' the money, yet my brothers and I have all paid rent when not either at School or Uni. It's more the principle, and given that, at least in my case, not only is a roof over our heads provided, but electricity, water, home cooked meals every day, washing, use of cars etc, it would be the height of selfishness not to offer to contribute.

I pay £200 per month for rent and I pay my own way in food, phone and broadband (all DirectDebits from my account).

They didn't make me pay it...I just thought I owed them it tbh.

I pay my pearents £60 a week, which is a dam sight cheaper than when i had my own flat.

Do all my own washing, clean the house if I get a chance, cook dinner for everyone twice a week, pay my own phone bill and internet.

i feel its to teach you the value of money, before i moved out i had never had to pay for anything really, was such a shock as to how much it all really costs. I feel sorry for people who have everything done for them, it must be so hard going into the proper world, where you actually have to do something for your self, and not expect other people to do it for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom