PC Boot Problem, need some advice

Associate
I've just replaced the heatsink on my older PC, an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, as it was running hot and the old heatsink was clogged with dust. Took off the old heatsink and cleaned the old gunk off the chip, re-applied some Arctic Silver and put the new heatsink, an Arctic Cooling Socket A one, back on the mobo.

The thing is now it won't boot. I don't get any signal to the monitor and no beeps. The heatsink fan is working but i've noticed the chipset fan seems to have siezed up. I'm almost certain i didn't touch this while replaceing the heatsink and i've done a few builds now so i'm confidant i did that ok.

I'm really not sure what to check to see whats gone wrong but any advise would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
I've re-seated the heatsink again and can see no visible damage to the core. The heatsink fan is fine, the chipset fan bearings seem to have seized up.

Associate
hum...

if your chipset fan has a cover over it, then take that off. i find it sounds quieter with it off, and just hangs dust over the fan. if still no luck try leaving your chipset passivly cooled.

as for the CPU, try taking it out the socket and putting it back in again ? lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom