Pc boots but no display

Associate
Iv been looking at upgrading the cpu, mb, ram and psu which I have a topic in the upgrade section. Yesterday I restarted my computer and it booted up as normal all the lights and fans booted and it idled as normal but no display not even the bios start screen. So I held down the power button and restarted and same happened then I turned it off and unplugged the power cable and plugged it back in and it restarted and I had a display but today that doesn’t seem to be fixing my problem. Any ideas what it could be? I will post my current build

Current Build
CPU - I5 6600k
Cooler - MSI 240R
MB - Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2400
GPU - MSI GTX 1660 SUPER
SSD's - 1tb Sabrent M.2, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO
HDD - 1tb Western Digital, 500gb Seagate
Case - MSI MAG Forge 100R
PSU - 650W Corsair

You said boot, so do you think it actually goes into Windows without the display?

Don't suppose you have remote desktop enabled and are able to log in? Might give a slight clue if then Device Manager can or cannot see the graphic card.

Do you have another display, or something else which can output to your monitor?

Probably striping down to only the bare components by disconnecting drives, using only one DIMM etc. could be your next thing to try.

You said boot, so do you think it actually goes into Windows without the display?

Don't suppose you have remote desktop enabled and are able to log in? Might give a slight clue if then Device Manager can or cannot see the graphic card.

Do you have another display, or something else which can output to your monitor?

Probably striping down to only the bare components by disconnecting drives, using only one DIMM etc. could be your next thing to try.
Tried using different monitors also tried taking out the graphics card and using the computer integrated graphics but no luck going to try using 1 stick of ram now

Any diagnostic lights or beeps from your motherboard?
Clearing CMOS can't really do any harm at this stage either.
I don’t have one of those pins to clear cmos and it also doesn’t have the audio beeper. For clearing the cmos could I connect the 2 pins with a metal screw?

Another thing I noticed is my keyboard and mouse don’t light up but the red light on my mic does

These are all plugged into the back of the motherboard? USB or 3.5mm mic?
Have you tried other ports, and tried only one at a time in various ports?
This will help tell if faulty board/port/lack of power

I tried starting without any usb device and still got same problem. As I was in the process of sourcing some upgrades I had ordered a new PSU just before this happened which should be arriving today. As the PSU I’m using at the moment is around 10 years old now

Also I just checked nvidia’s website about the warranty and it says you get 2 year warranty on their cards. I bought the card from overclockers. So if it does seem to be the card would I contact overclockers or nvidia?

You get a year with OC, which is standard for most or all products from anywhere in UK. The rest is with the manufacturer. But it can be quicker and easier to go direct to manufacturer, but best to contact OC if within a year to check. The warranty won't be with Nvidia, it'll be with the manufacturer of the card, in your case, MSI.

These are all plugged into the back of the motherboard? USB or 3.5mm mic?
Have you tried other ports, and tried only one at a time in various ports?
This will help tell if faulty board/port/lack of power
I tried starting without any usb device and still got same problem. As I was in the process of sourcing some upgrades I had ordered a new PSU just before this happened which should be arriving today. As the PSU I’m using at the moment is around 10 years old now

Did you try what i mentioned, one at a time, in various ports?

The reason being is because you stated your keyboard and mouse doesn't light up, but your mic does. You need to know what the reason/cause for this is before thinking about the GPU, as the motherboard or power are related here.

You get a year with OC, which is standard for most or all products from anywhere in UK. The rest is with the manufacturer. But it can be quicker and easier to go direct to manufacturer, but best to contact OC if within a year to check. The warranty won't be with Nvidia, it'll be with the manufacturer of the card, in your case, MSI.

Did you try what i mentioned, one at a time, in various ports?

The reason being is because you stated your keyboard and mouse doesn't light up, but your mic does. You need to know what the reason/cause for this is before thinking about the GPU, as the motherboard or power are related here.
I did try all the USB ports I also got a new PSU and that hasn’t fixed it next I will buy a new motherboard cpu and ram which I was going to upgrade anyway. Hoping it’s the motherboard or cpu that’s the issue

Back
Top Bottom