PC boots for 0.5 seconds then turns off, PSU or Motherboard?

Soldato
Hi All,

Woe is me, I've dreaded the day I'd ever have to make a thread like this, but here goes.
After a hard days work, looking forward to some CS:GO this evening, that joyous noise when your PC boots up wasn't quite right, or at all for that matter.

Hardware: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming7 Motherboard + EVGA Supernova G2 850W

Symptoms: PC Booting for 0.5 seconds, then turning off. No Post codes or anything to indicate from the Mobo what the problem may be. Otherwise, the PC showed zero indication that anything was wrong when I last used it (Sunday evening). Other than a terrible Triton CPU cooler which was replaced months ago, this build has been rock solid since May 2015~.

Troubleshooting: I've disconnected literally everything but the PSU, and a single stick of RAM, CPU + cooler. I've tried each RAM slot, resetting CMOS, the different BIOS modes (dual/single) a different Power Socket, all with the same symptoms.

Unfortunately, I have no hardware to further eliminate whether or not it is specifically the Motherboard, or the PSU.

Given the above, at this stage I'm assuming it's the Motherboard, as there are no POST codes at all to indicate what may be up.

Experts, what would you next port of call be given my situation? I'm leaning towards a motherboard (hopefully from MM), but would really appreciate some input.

Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear it, same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, my culprit was my PSU

Thanks Don.

Interesting, was your motherboard not giving any post codes either?
If I'm very lucky a couple of local friends may have a spare PSU I could borrow for the evening. Fingers crossed.

Associate
Thanks Don.

Interesting, was your motherboard not giving any post codes either?
If I'm very lucky a couple of local friends may have a spare PSU I could borrow for the evening. Fingers crossed.
No post at all, the only signs of life for that slip second was the fans began to spin and a blue cathode lit up

Back
Top Bottom