PC Build - £ 700

Associate
Hey!

I want to build my own, new PC.
I want to play Battlefield, Witcher on rather full specs if possible for that money.
I still need to buy a monitor display, on which I plan to have £300.

Could you advise a decent build that would allow me to to achieve above conditions, please?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Best way to go about it is work with the total (£700+£300), get a decent core in (decent PSU/CPU/mobo/RAM and the amount of storage you estimate needing on your first drive before you add other drives to your PC later on). After that, you look at graphics card and monitor options with what remains, taking into account what style of game play you'd prefer, i.e. competitive fast 144Hz+ refresh rate 1080p or normal 60-75Hz refresh rate with higher 1440p resolution. And then throw in a cheap case. It's a decent budget but not enough to be throwing away a good chunk of it on an expensive case.

Example of a suitable core with a 500GB SSD:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £486.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Leaves £514.

Fast refresh rate option:

Total: £516.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Higher resolution option:

Total: £502.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Cheap case example:

Total: £56.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Case cost would take it over but if you shopped around for the best deals it should be £1K all in.

why this when the 5700xt is £15 more?

It's always a tough one. In the end I personally lean slightly to the school of thought that when it comes to 5700 XT it's best to stick to certain models and not cheap out too much. The 5700 is already a more than capable card for 1080p 144Hz and that Giga model is good. The buyer reviews for the Powercolor Dual fan are not exactly confidence-inspiring, and I haven't seen any tech reviewers touch that one. For a 5700 XT I'd (currently) stretch to the £375 Gigabyte Gaming OC. Just my opinion.

@Danny75 from the user reviews I've seen...the el-cheapo powercolors seem to be decent enough

@tamzzy

Among the few I've found that contained more useful info than basically "I just bought and it's great" and "it's ok for the money", or "60C max" (which I don't believe is accurate for a second), was someone who replaced a blower model with it and measured the db and found it was even louder. And another who initially expressed he was happy with it, then two months later added a Morpheus 2 cooler to it because he got sick of the heat and noise. Another who said that model lacks a VRM temp sensor.

In lieu of actual tech reviews, or having used this model myself, I think I believe them slightly more than others because quite a few who buy this card will want to tell themselves that it's fine and that they've landed a bargain. It's in the days following where the cheaper quality could start to grind on you.

5700 XT is similar to Ryzen in a way. Low power/you can get the power draw down but because of the design they still hit pretty high temps even with good coolers. And the junction temperature affects the boosts you can maintain. That thing just keeps climbing like a Nepalese Sherpa if it's not controlled through undervolting and a bit of fan boosting. Some game benchmarks that show the 5700 XT temps just show the temps for the benchmark, not how they can continue getting hotter with an hour of play or more.

End of the day there may be nothing much wrong with it. Just wary is all.

@Danny75 yeah it's all about the tradeoffs and budget of the build
i subscribe to the mindset that once an aftermarket cooled part approaches the price of the next tier...it no longer is good value.
when the 5700xt can cost £340, the cooler cannot add an extra £40-50 that's just pure daylight robbery (hyperbole i know... :p)

i assume you've seen me post this article numerous times...but i'll post it again: https://www.techspot.com/review/1861-rtx-2060-budget-vs-premium-graphics-card/
explains nicely my rationale

@Danny75 yeah it's all about the tradeoffs and budget of the build
i subscribe to the mindset that once an aftermarket cooled part approaches the price of the next tier...it no longer is good value.
when the 5700xt can cost £340, the cooler cannot add an extra £40-50 that's just pure daylight robbery (hyperbole i know... :p)

i assume you've seen me post this article numerous times...but i'll post it again: https://www.techspot.com/review/1861-rtx-2060-budget-vs-premium-graphics-card/
explains nicely my rationale

Can't recall seeing you post it. Yes, that's generally how I feel about GPUs as well, with some exceptions, like blower cards in general which we pretend don't exist (unless needed for a particular use-case scenario).

Hi,

Best way to go about it is work with the total (£700+£300), get a decent core in (decent PSU/CPU/mobo/RAM and the amount of storage you estimate needing on your first drive before you add other drives to your PC later on). After that, you look at graphics card and monitor options with what remains, taking into account what style of game play you'd prefer, i.e. competitive fast 144Hz+ refresh rate 1080p or normal 60-75Hz refresh rate with higher 1440p resolution. And then throw in a cheap case. It's a decent budget but not enough to be throwing away a good chunk of it on an expensive case.

Example of a suitable core with a 500GB SSD:

Total: £486.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Leaves £514.

Hope no one minds me jumping on this post, couldn’t get an solid answers in my post.

Would you see this build having any limitations on what games you can play? I know you won’t be able to play everything at full spec but would you be able to play AAA titles as well as games like ark/Conan and stuff like that?

I keep getting myself confused with what is necessity, and what is just a nice added extra to get absolutely everything out of a game. Then I kinda want a happy medium where games still run really well, but not at their absolute best.

Hope no one minds me jumping on this post, couldn’t get an solid answers in my post.

Would you see this build having any limitations on what games you can play? I know you won’t be able to play everything at full spec but would you be able to play AAA titles as well as games like ark/Conan and stuff like that?

I keep getting myself confused with what is necessity, and what is just a nice added extra to get absolutely everything out of a game. Then I kinda want a happy medium where games still run really well, but not at their absolute best.

You can use that core (or similar) setup to run AAA titles on highest settings. Whether you're able to or not depends on which monitor resolution you use and which graphics card you choose to accompany it.

For example, something like a GTX 1660 Super for £200 is a great choice for a 1080p 60Hz monitor and mostly high settings. RX 580/590 if you want to save a bit more money and don't mind lowering settings a tad at times.

Back
Top Bottom