PC crashing/running like a dog.

Soldato
So I've just moved house. Finally got round to connected my pc up. And its started to do a few strange things:
1st if I leave typing my password for a minute or two the system locks and I have to reboot.
Loggin in takes about 5 minutes (used to take about 5 seconds)
If I leave the machine for 10/15 minutes I get a BSOD with various random messages.
And running 3D mark is giving me half my normal score (6k)???

I've reset the BIOS to stock to remove OC, Disabled C&Q in the bios. Disabled all powersaving windows thingys. Disconnected and replugged ALL the hardware (in case it was knocked moving it). Think thats it so far, anyone got some more ideas?

Oh and it seems if I sit here and type it doesn't crash, been 30 mins now. but guess it'll die again if I leave it.

Cheers

Soldato
not sure if im being much help. but, as a first thing to eliminate,

take out one stick of RAM and test the pc , and then replace it with the other stick of RAM and test it again..

Soldato
OP
Paulus said:
not sure if im being much help. but, as a first thing to eliminate,

take out one stick of RAM and test the pc , and then replace it with the other stick of RAM and test it again..

I've got some old ram somewhere, I'll give that a go tonight and see what happens...

Associate
I would try cleaning carefully and then reseating and replugging all the hardware devices.

And then check for corrupted windows files with scandisk etc.

It is the kind of problem you get when for example the graphics card is not seated or connected properly.

At least it will give an idea of where the problem is hopefully it will not be damaged beyond simple repair, if thats any help.

Soldato
OP
Well its not the memory, stuck some old memory in which I had lying around and still getting BSOD. Its all very strange as I said if I keep doing things it doesn't crash. Just runs very slow. Its also having difficulties reading some cd roms/dvd's. I was coping files to my harddrive from cd and its saying checksum error. (the dvd's are fine, as I tested on my laptop).

Have to say this is the strangest problem I've ever come across, and i've worked in IT for 10+ years.

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
Maybe the harddisk is on it's way out, what manufacturer is it?

I would download a utility from the manufacturers website and check the harddisk.

The main one is a maxtor Diamondmax 10 300 gig. only a year or so old. But I'll give that a check...

Associate
modo77 said:
Loggin in takes about 5 minutes (used to take about 5 seconds)

As mentioned, does sound HDD related.

Try unplugging all the unnecessary IDE/SATA drives inc. optical ones.

Just use your boot drive and see what happens.

If it works ok, then add in each of your other drives one by one until the fault occurs again - and the last one you attached is the culprit.

If this doesn't fix it, then suspect your boot drive.

M

Soldato
OP
Yeah it is the HD, the diag tool reported a few errors. I've managed to salvage my data so not too bad.

Not sure if it was a coincidence, but since my PC was fine before moving house I guess it was damaged when I moved it.

Thanks for the help all.

Back
Top Bottom