PC dead - any ideas?

GT3

GT3

Soldato
The other day my computer was under quite a bit of load and it just completely turned off and wouldn't turn back on until I flicked the power on and off at the PSU. Now there is no signal to the monitor and all the harddrives spin up but they don't click away so windows isn't loading. I have swapped a graphics card with one that definately works, I have also tested RAM, PSU and CPU in another computer and they work fine. I have stripped the pc completely bare and rebuilt it and it still won't fire up. So I think the mobo is dead, agree?

Spec if it matters:
XP1700 @ 230 fsb (2415mhz) (2volts)
Abit NF7-S volt modded
TwinMOS BH-5 @ 230fsb (3volts)

And been running like that perfectly for 3 years to the month so if its died I'm not bothered as I've got my moneys worth!

So if I get another motherboard I think its probably best if I go the S939 route. I can get a 3000+ venice off my mate for £50 so what cheap mobo is best to go with this? Do any good ones have onboard VGA as I don't play games any more and my current gfx is an AGP card? Will I need a new hefty PSU for the A64? Mine is a 340W antec/cheiftec.

Sorry for the noobish post, been out the loop for a while!

Cheers

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Power light is on on the motherboard yes, as I said it powers up but nothing shows on the screen.

Yes I have tried reseting the CMOS.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Admiral Huddy said:
are you getting ANY POSt messages on the screen..

Is the monitor connected ok, check the lead and make sure none of the pins are bent. Try a different monitor?

Yep no problems with monitor as its what I'm using now with a different pc. No messages on screen because the screen won't come on.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Right motherboard confirmed dead, closer inspection, lots of black burnt out bits around the power area on the back of the board.

So Athlon 64 time.

I am gonna get that passive 256mb PCI-E Ge-force 6200 as that will be fine for what I use the pc for. The chip will either be a 3000+ or 3200+ venice.

Which mobo for around £60 ish will be best? I assume nforce 4 is the way to go? I want a good stable board but a little overclocking won't go a miss.

Will my current ram be upto the job? It will do 230fsb with fairly tight timings with enough volts through it.

Will my current PSU be upto the job for an A64 setup bearing in mind its only gonna have the gforce 6200 graphics.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom