PC development

Associate
Hello!

Since my new monitor became an LG OLED C2 42" TV, I was forced to buy a new video card.

My current config:

Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C80)
Memory: 16 GB DDR4
Video card: I am replacing an RTX2080 with this: ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX OC Edition 24GB
Power supply: Seasonic Prime Ultra 650 W

Question: What I have managed to find out so far is that the power supply will be small. How can I calculate the size of the power supply unit I will need?
Question: What is better to do? Replace the processor, memory, motherboard as well or just buy + 16 GB of memory?
How much can a new generation processor throw on average in a 4K game at ULTRA settings?

Thanks!

Question: What I have managed to find out so far is that the power supply will be small. How can I calculate the size of the power supply unit I will need?

Read reviews and note down the average power usage for each part.

If we assume around 100 for the 10700K and 350 for the 7900 XTX, then 500 should be a fairly safe point to guess you'll be hitting on average, but you'll need some room to handle the spikes and don't want the PSU to be too hot or too noisy.

Your PSU may handle it, but it'll be working pretty hard and may trip/turn off or black screen under load.

Asus recommend 850 on their website for that card.

Question: What is better to do? Replace the processor, memory, motherboard as well or just buy + 16 GB of memory?

It depends on the game you're playing, the settings you're using and your expectations, so it is hard to give a definite answer that is applicable for all users/circumstances.

My suggestion would be to buy it and see. If you don't get the increase you're expecting, then you have your answer.

How much can a new generation processor throw on average in a 4K game at ULTRA settings?

Again, this is very difficult to answer because the question has so many variables.

7900 XTX review here, with average FPS @ 4K (bottom of page). Test CPU: i9-13900K.

7800X3D review here, with minimum FPS using a 4090 (@ 1080p & 4K). "All games are set to their highest quality setting unless indicated otherwise."

I suggest doing a search on YouTube for "CPU + GPU + Game + 4K" and watch a few examples of the game(s) you're planning to play.

Last edited:
As usual, @Tetras has given sound advice. PSU definitely. RAM subjective but if you can match a 16GB set and get it for about £50 you are sweet. You may need to buy a matching 32GB set for £100 and sell your current one for £20/£30 to offset. Either way, should keep you going for a little while longer at 4K

Back
Top Bottom