Pc for my little sister

Associate
Hey guys.

my sister plays games like roblox/minecraft and watches YouTube.

my mum wants to get her a pc because hers at the moment just doesn’t cut it. It’s our old family desktop and her games just constantly crash or she lags etc.

How much would we be looking at to get a machine that would run those sort of games ?

she has a headset/monitor/keyboard.

we want it to be as cheap as possible but if you think it justifies the extra cost for a certain part etc then please just explain it.

thanks for any help

Soldato
Whats the budget and il gladly help you put together a build list,Assuming your going to build it :)

They're not particularly demanding games,Minecraft like CPU/memory.

Soldato
A Ryzen 3400G ITX system seems a good starting point. Just let her choose the case. OCUK stock the Bitfenix Prodigy in a plethora of colours, for instance.

If this is going to be a Christmas present then you might want to hold off for the expected B550 / B520 motherboards.

Permabanned
Hey guys.

my sister plays games like roblox/minecraft and watches YouTube.

my mum wants to get her a pc because hers at the moment just doesn’t cut it. It’s our old family desktop and her games just constantly crash or she lags etc.

How much would we be looking at to get a machine that would run those sort of games ?

she has a headset/monitor/keyboard.

we want it to be as cheap as possible but if you think it justifies the extra cost for a certain part etc then please just explain it.

thanks for any help

Hey,

Would this be too expensive?
If you can spend the money, that's a system with a 6-core/12-thread processor and a dedicated graphics card with good gaming performance:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £539.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
OP
Whats the budget and il gladly help you put together a build list,Assuming your going to build it :)

A Ryzen 3400G ITX system seems a good starting point. Just let her choose the case. OCUK stock the Bitfenix Prodigy in a plethora of colours, for instance.

If this is going to be a Christmas present then you might want to hold off for the expected B550 / B520 motherboards.

thanks for all the help. Our budget is around £250 which I know isn’t a lot so any help would be amazing.

Permabanned
thanks for all the help. Our budget is around £250 which I know isn’t a lot so any help would be amazing.

Err, 250 is not a good budget... Would you increase it to 350?
Like this, and even this is nowhere near as powerful as the system in the previous comment:

Total: £361.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
This is what i would do.

Total: £274.56 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Reasoning behind some of the choices.

Your sister doesn't need a 480gb ssd for roblox and minecraft or youtube. You can also use the old computers HDD as a secondary storage space. Having a 120gb for the OS would make everything feel miles faster for anything she does though so a very nice to have item.

She also doesn't need 16GB of ram for those games. 8 Would be absolutely fine.

This setup also leaves space for adding a GPU down the line. But also has a integrated vega chip in the cpu

The above would be absolutely fine for roblox and minecraft. :)

Associate
OP

Get a second hand corporate desktop like an Elitedesk G1 800 + a 1050ti.

Err, 250 is not a good budget... Would you increase it to 350?
Like this, and even this is nowhere near as powerful as the system in the previous comment:

Total: £361.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)

My son plays minecraft, with no problems, on a Celeron G540, GTS 250, 4mb DDR3 ram. Those are all very old parts, but give an indication of how low you can go on spec.

This is what i would do.

Your sister doesn't need a 480gb ssd for roblox and minecraft or youtube. You can also use the old computers HDD as a secondary storage space. Having a 120gb for the OS would make everything feel miles faster for anything she does though so a very nice to have item.

This setup also leaves space for adding a GPU down the line. But also has a integrated vega chip in the cpu

hey guys I’m back. Had some time to get on her pc after work and this is what she has at the moment.

CPU -Intel i5 - 3330 cpu @3.00 ghz
Gpu - AMD Radeon hd 6670
8gb ram ddr3
The tower just seems like a medium advent bog standard case.
2tb harddrive
Windows 10.
Cheers for any help :)

Soldato
hey guys I’m back. Had some time to get on her pc after work and this is what she has at the moment.

CPU -Intel i5 - 3330 cpu @3.00 ghz
Gpu - AMD Radeon hd 6670
8gb ram ddr3
The tower just seems like a medium advent bog standard case.
2tb harddrive
Windows 10.
Cheers for any help :)

There is no reason that should be lagging on minecraft and roblox with those specs. Can you have a look at what power supply it is? and also have a look inside in general to see if the cpu and gpu coolers are massively clogged with dust as they do over time and then that will nuke performance due to overheating/throttling.

The only upgrade i would do to that system for her use is an SSD and PERHAPS if you fancy getting a low profile gpu that the PSU can handle as the 6670 isn't the fastest card going anymore.

Last edited:
Don
My daughter has a bog standard i5 laptop and runs minecraft/roblox/youtube fine. I stuck an SSD in it to speed it up. You could probably pickup a similar second hand for 200 quid on here then just get a separate keyboard and mouse for her.

Soldato
As said above, better graphics card and SSD. Would make a world of difference.

I'd suggest a 1050ti, as it's very low power draw (doesn't require any separate power from the PSU) and will handle those games with ease.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

This is what i would do.

This seems like the ideal build really given your budget.

Might be able to even save a few extra bucks by getting possibly a B350 board, but you would need to do a BIOS update before using this chip.

Also could save a few quid getting cheaper RAM, but apart from that this probably the best you can get

Associate
OP
There is no reason that should be lagging on minecraft and roblox with those specs. Can you have a look at what power supply it is? and also have a look inside in general to see if the cpu and gpu coolers are massively clogged with dust as they do over time and then that will nuke performance due to overheating/throttling.

The only upgrade i would do to that system for her use is an SSD and PERHAPS if you fancy getting a low profile gpu that the PSU can handle as the 6670 isn't the fastest card going anymore.

As said above, better graphics card and SSD. Would make a world of difference.

I'd suggest a 1050ti, as it's very low power draw (doesn't require any separate power from the PSU) and will handle those games with ease.
If I was to get her a 590 and an ssd would it be a bottleneck? I think that would be within the £250 budget

Associate
OP
If I was to get her a 590 and an ssd would it be a bottleneck? I think that would be within the £250 budget
I’m also pretty nooby when it comes to windows. How would I transfer the windows 10 to the ssd? I don’t know if we still have the box with the windows key on etc. Do I just back it up on a memory stick and then put it on the ssd?

Soldato
I’m also pretty nooby when it comes to windows. How would I transfer the windows 10 to the ssd? I don’t know if we still have the box with the windows key on etc. Do I just back it up on a memory stick and then put it on the ssd?

You could either do a fresh install and get a key and have it nice and fresh. Or you could clone the HDD onto the SSD with some software such as macrium reflect. You just need to plug them both in at the same time and point the software to what drive you want to copy to where.

We could ideally do with a picture of the inside of the case. As you need to pick a card that will physically fit the case. I am going to guess that it's pretty tight in their and will need something like a 1050Ti low profile. Also we still need to know what PSU is in their so we can tell if it will be an issue or not.

Associate
OP
You could either do a fresh install and get a key and have it nice and fresh. Or you could clone the HDD onto the SSD with some software such as macrium reflect. You just need to plug them both in at the same time and point the software to what drive you want to copy to where.

We could ideally do with a picture of the inside of the case. As you need to pick a card that will physically fit the case. I am going to guess that it's pretty tight in their and will need something like a 1050Ti low profile. Also we still need to know what PSU is in their so we can tell if it will be an issue or not.
Thanks for the response. I’ll have a look when I get time. Probably tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom