PC Gaming is ALIVEEEE

Soldato
Is it just me or does it feel like PC Gaming is very much vibrant and alive at the moment.

I'm really loving all these indie games that are surfacing and even the previews of big AAA games to come.

I don't know but for me at the moment PC Gaming has me hooked again and I can't wait to get back on my PC when home etc :D

Long live PC Gaming :D

Soldato
OP
We’re very spoilt these days in my opinion, and some of the comments reflect this.

I have a library full of triple A titles and excellent indies I’ve yet to play, they could probably last me years without spending any money. Modern hardware is expensive but the second hand market is full of excellent hardware, and my ageing rig still plays great at 1200p. When I upgrade to UW/4K FALD, HDR with G-sync I cant imagine how awesome it’ll be.

We have a wealth of choices, excellent games, superb deals on digital download, awesome ways to communicate with teammates and access to a back catalogue of two decades of incredible gaming experiences, all to be accessed right from our desks. There’s some incredible peripherals, great audio and super comfy chairs, and even things like PC cases are so beautiful, easy to work in and cleverly designed now. There’s plenty of expensive hobbies out there, and actually I think PC gaming is cheap compared to some; with the ability to tinker, upgrade and enjoy is so many ways. Sure the new RTX cards are bonkers, stupidly priced and overhyped; don’t buy them. Get a 1080ti if you need an upgrade, it’s a great card that will soon be pretty cheap.

I think PC gaming has been in a golden age for a long time now. I can play at the desk, with a controller, or in front of the big screen, or with sync tech, or with Dolby surround. Not to mention I can work on it and all the other things a PC can do.

We’re moaning about what? Loot boxes? Don’t buy the game. Some of the best experiences I’ve ever had have been on indie titles, and the fact that there’s so many might make some crap, but so what? For every bad one there’s an absolute gem you can pick up for half the cost of a packet of cigarettes and enjoy for much longer.

I’d be interested to know the ages of people who’re posting negative / positive things. I don’t think I’m old by any means, but the first games I played were on 5 1/2” floppy and I couldn’t have imagined then how lucky we would be by 2018.

So yes mate, I agree, long may it continue.

Agree with everything here

Soldato
OP
This is an interesting insight into the performance difference of around ten years ago; fella bought an ageing mid range pc off the bay. It’s not really graphics progression, but it’s interesting what performance a £1,000 pc from that time would offer, resolution, IQ and FPS wise.

Skip to 6:40 to avoid the intro, though I personally found it interesting enough.

Now that's a blast from the past my Q series Intel lasted years and years

Soldato
OP
Right? Great little chips. He bought the whole thing for a few quiz too, it amazes me the speed we progress at, and how quickly components used to be obsolete. My 4790k is still a pretty big hitting chip (I always go for upper end chips for longevity). The only thing I’d like is some USB-C, but even that’s future proofing for external SSDs I want to add in the future.

I found it interesting that the ram was so limiting. Just goes to show that capacity requirement has expanded very rapidly. I had to upgrade my 8gb because it just wasn’t enough even for 1200p, some of my games are using over 11gb. Though I’m sure you could blame lack of optimisation for some of that.

Watching that back it reminded me of buying those components like it was yesterday and he picked it all up for a few quid, amazing.

Around 2005/2006 was golden years for me as well

Soldato
OP
I think 2004/2005 was when I built my first PC. I couldn't believe how good HL2 and Far Cry looked, yet to look back now they look awful. It's amazing how far graphics have come since then.

I think i'll always look back on my first PC as the best, just because of how good it felt to research for months, buy all the parts and then build a PC for the first time. Then to turn it on and fire up HL2 and it all being made worthwhile when I saw how amazing it looked.

We are of that same era.

Back
Top Bottom