Pc hanging every boot, straight to American Megatrends splash screen, not re-loading saved BIOS settings after faulty PSU replacement

Associate
Soecs:
- CPU: Ryzen 5900X (Stock)
- MoBo: ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
- RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3600Mhz DDR4
- GPU: RTX 3080 Founders edition
- M.2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
- PSU: Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum

Hello,

I recently had to replace my PSU (for the same model) after 2-3 years of use as it stopped delivering power to my system.

During troubleshooting, I initially thought the fault may have been my motherboard, which after attempting to troubleshoot by only clearing the CMOS - would been my 2nd component to replace had the power supply not done the job.

However, after powering the system on each time -
it now hangs for 4-5 second and takes me to the American Megatrends splash screen ….every time now.

It doesn’t matter if I change my fan speeds, up front RAM from 2133 > 3600 Mhz, disable motherboard LED’s and save etc - every time I either reboot or cold boot the pc = all of the settings will have reset and I’m greeted by the American Megatrends splash screen.

I never had this issue before clearing the CMOS just the once and replacing the PSU?

I’m running BIOS ver. 4702 which was the latest at the time I was going through my PSU’s RMA process - but I believe a newer version has been released.

Do you think updating the BIOS would solve this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Joe
https://www.reddit.com/r/PcBuild/s/dbvBlI6Fpw

I assume you checked the battery is not loose or something?

I assume you're not just changing the frequency manually?

Have you tried loading defaults/optimised defaults, save and reboot?
Hi Tetras -

thanks for the rapid reply!

Upfront - I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to this:

1. I didn’t touch the board or take it out of the system when replacing the PSU so I haven’t checked no.

I cleared the CMOS by pressing the button on the motherboard’s Rear I/O just the once prior to pinpointing the issue as the PSU (just before the PSU completely died) and presumed that as the issue wasn’t happening prior to the PSU’s replacement, and I haven’t removed the board other than replacing the 24-pin and CPU cables - that wouldn’t be an issue.

2. I am and have always used DOCP to change the memory frequency.
(I don’t know how to adjust timings etc)

3. I have not tried loading defaults/optiimised defaults.
My system appears to be resorting to default each time I boot - but that is certainly something I could try?

Last edited:
It might help, sometimes a partial clear causes corrupt settings to linger and resaving the defaults can fix that.

Make sure the DRAM voltage is being set correctly when you enable DOCP.

Hi Tetras and @Quartz -

sorry for such a late reply!
Work has been crazy to say the least...

Since speaking last, I have

- loaded optimised/default settings
- updated to latest BIOS
- performed latest Window updates (irrelevant but GPU too)

the problem was still persisting so I have:

- cleared the CMOS by pressing the reset button on the Rear I/O once more
- loaded optimised/default settings

..and the issues still appears to be continuing...

Each time I boot the PC up, adjust fan curves, turn Asus AURA lighting off and set DRAM from Auto 2133 to DOCP 3600 @ 1.35v (although the system tells me it's at 1.376v)
>
if I shut the pc down
>
next time I boot it up (I've noticed it more from cold boots)
=
I'm greeted by the American Megatrends splash-screen

I am now thinking could it be the CMOS battery being loose on the motherboard? (Asus Crosshair VIII Impact)

The only issue is that the CMOS battery is encased within a shroud and when I replaced my faulty PSU - I had nothing to do with the motherboard itself other than changing the new PSU 24-pin and CPU modular cables over (I did do this originally Quartz thankyou; swapped out old for new).

I did not remove the motherboard during new PSU installation, I did not even touch the motherboard nor the end of it housing the CMOS battery,
so I'm reallyyyyyy hoping it's not this as I'll have to remove it from my 12.6L SFF build, remove the motherboard, unscrew the backplate, remove the shroud... you get the picture.

Do you gentleman have any more suggestions?
(I've attached some images of the BIOS and splash-screen in case there's anything obvious sticking out to either of you that a beginner like me is missing)

Kind Regards,

Joe

Edit: Apologies - those images are massive.
I don't know how to downsize them.
GVc_VXgXsAIw8QR
GVc_VXhWEAARng7
GVc_VXhXcAAbYye

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom