Pc just died... Help.

Soldato
Pc just died... Help. (sorted)

Could do with some help, our family pc has just died.
It was playing a game at the time, so maximum stress on everything.

Specs:

-A64 3200 overclocked by 200mhz. Using stock cooler from my dual core opteron.
-A8n sli deluxe with updated chipset cooler fitted
-Xfx 6600gt with ac silencer fitted and ramsinks. not oc'd.
-wd raptor 74, new.
-Antec psu 350W SmartPower PSU
-Coolermaster c5 case with front and rear fans
-Corasir ddr xms xl 3200 cas 2 ram
-Lg all format dvd burner

Having turned if off, let it cool, reset the cmos, it turns on for a split second and then dies.

Suspicions in order of most suspected:
-Awfull asus chipset cooler was not cooling chipset properly. However, has had far worse cooling in the past and survived.
-Psu died. Was rather hot but was also brand new.
-Fan on ac silencer wasn't spinning, fan controller on card has always been a bit weak. However, it worked for the last year or so, and the gpu should have a thermal trip. It should also boot.
-Cpu cooked. However, it would thermal shutdown.
-Ram cooked. However, was running at stock (i think) and has worked fine in hotter system for a year. Also has a lifetime guarantee.

Thats about all i can think of.
Any ideas?
I've got a 2nd system here which can have bits swapped around, but thats a last resort.

Thanks in advance for your help

Edit: PSU seems ok, asus power led on the board is on. I'd have thought the chipset would have smoked if it was that. Still no life after leaving it to cool down.

Last edited:
Associate
My hunch would be the PSU. If it is brand spanking new, then its quite plausible...
Do any of the fans spin up at all? or is it really for a spli second (ie theres a click, then leds flash on, and then nothing...)?

Soldato
OP
FergCu said:
My hunch would be the PSU. If it is brand spanking new, then its quite plausible...
Do any of the fans spin up at all? or is it really for a spli second (ie theres a click, then leds flash on, and then nothing...)?
Does exactly what you describe. No fan movement. Split second on, then nothing.
I'd really love it if it was the psu, as thats the easiest part to replace by far, however as i said the power led on the board comes on.
I suppose main psu bit could be dead, and the smaller bit that supplys a small current all the time is working.
I can test it by putting a resistor accross the two power on pins, i;ve done that before, but i will probably need something plugged into it to work...

Soldato
OP
Ohh GOD!
It just powered up and something went orange and now smells of that wonderfull smell of kippers.
As an A level electronics student, i know that smell only too well...

I'm investigating with due caution...

Please don't be the board, please.....

Edit: It seems to be the voltage regulators on the graphics card.
Pics of the damage are forthcoming... :D
I'm relieved, there are worse thngs in a pc that can fry.

Edit2: Woot it works without the graphics card in (sigh of relief).

Last edited:
Associate
well... thats a double edged relief. good that you found out what it was... pity something fried. At least its easy to replace.
Ferg

Soldato
OP
Indeed. If it didn't fry, i would have been investigating for days...

friedgpuvreg9pt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom