PC Laggy after upgrade

Associate
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting, but really stumped with my PC issues....
I recently upgraded a few parts of my machine and since then my machine just seems very laggy, I used to run 3 games at the same time with my old setup, but now I struggle to run 1 game and chrome at the same time without the machine seeming laggy, cursor feels like its a second or two behind, and videos are jumpy...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
CPU COOLING: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler, PWM Fans & PWM Controlled Pump
RAM: 64.0 GB - Corsair Vengeance 64GB (4 x 16GB)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Rog Strix b550-a gaming
GFX CARD: AMD RADEON 6750 XT
STORAGE 1: Seagate 1TB FireCuda 510 M.2 NVMe SSD, M.2
STORAGE 2: Seagate 1TB FireCuda 510 M.2 NVMe SSD, M.2 (yes 2)
STORAGE 3: Maxtor Z1 SSD 480GB
STORAGE 4: 2TB sata drive
STORAGE 5: 2TB sata drive (Yes 2 of these also)
PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit

Parts upgraded are:
RAM: Doubled from 32gb to 64GB
GFX CARD: from Nvidia 1070 TI to AMD Radeon 6750 XT
PSU: Corsair 450w to Corsair 850w

Here is what I have tried so far:
- Resetting bios to optimal settings
- Manually setting ram frequency to 3600 mhz
- Resitting the ram
- Checking for background processes (all seem normal)
- Checked Temps of CPU and Gfx card (all Seem Normal)
- Using Guru3D Gfx card driver wipe tool before swapping from Nvidia card to an AMD one
- Checked for any new windows updates
- Checked Ram Part numbers since 32gb was brought 4 months ago and another 32gb was brought a few days ago, serial numbers, timings etc all match, I've noticed the version number is slightly different tho

I'm sure I have tried a few other things but writing this off the top of my head with no sleep

Im trying to avoid reinstalling windows if I can, takes me about 3/4 weeks to get everything backed up :(

any advice is welcome and thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anything in event viewer?

Does your CPU, graphics card and SSDs all bench at the correct scores?

Updated chipset drivers lately?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi all,
thank you for the quick replies,
I have just updated all drivers and it remains the same... I did notice tho my bios is about 4 updates out of date, which is surprising, I only got the motherboard in August and the first thing I did was an update to the latest version of bios... One of the new versions does fix "random stuttering" to do with the TPM... so I will flash my bios tomorrow when I have more time and il let you know the results

thanks again

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok so i have upgraded the bios to the latest version and removed the 2 new sticks of ram.... it still feels laggy.... so the next thing I think will be testing the GPU,

I did run 3Dmark, before and after upgrades and the scores jumped up massive, apparently beating 81% of PC's tested on the software... I'm not really sure how else test and compare to where they should be tho

Soldato
Best way, as others have said, is to just test things systematically.

So, swap your gfx card - still a problem then its not your gfx card.
Swap your RAM - still an issue, not the RAM.
Swap your PSU - no issue anymore, bingo its the PSU.
So on and so forth.

Don't change multiple variables at the same time otherwise it will be difficult to zero in on what the problem is.

Man of Honour
Could try Dissconecting all the hard drives except Windows then and also check the firmware on them.

Had a simmlar issiue with a faulty usb device mite be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Soldato
which amd display driver did you install?, i only ask as the other day i updated to 22.11.2 and afterwards i had no end of lag issues within windows 11, soon as i rolled back to 22.11.1 all the lag i was getting was gone and a nice smooth experence, btw i'm running a 7950x and a 6900xtu with 32gb ddr5 6000mhz ram.

something else to check too is your chipset driver, if its too old it can cause weird issues as well as the gpu driver above.

i noticed you have a lot of storage connected, have you looked at the manual as i've looked and seen that if m.2_2 slot is used sata port 5-6 are disabled, if you run 2 m.2's that may affect bandwith to your gpu and instead of it getting x16 lanes you may be limiting it to x8 or worse x4, the chipest has some pcie lanes to drive the storage lanes but if you use it all up it will take lanes from the cpu, thus limiting your gpu and even the top m.2 slot, this could very well be causing your lag issues too

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, so i decided to just leave the 2 x m,2s connected, and so far it seems to be fine, so either a hard drive or a faulty cable is to blame maybe?

when I was getting lag before I was watching all the hard drives and there usage was all 0%, apart from the main m.2

Man of Honour
Ok, so i decided to just leave the 2 x m,2s connected, and so far it seems to be fine, so either a hard drive or a faulty cable is to blame maybe?

when I was getting lag before I was watching all the hard drives and there usage was all 0%, apart from the main m.2
Add one at a time run for a day (maybe), then add another also Run some health test on the drives .

I would check if the second m2 slot share lanes with the sata ports.

Last edited:
Soldato

Sounds like over saturation of available pcie lanes with so many connected your running out which is limiting what your pc can do, as above add one drive at a time and see what happens, download GPU z and see what your GPU is doing, run the in app stress test and see if your card runs at x16 or x8 or x4 that will give you your answer as to the lag, funny your pc seems ok now only 2 drives are connected, use gpu-z now and see what the pcie lanes are like for your GPU

your 5900x has a max of 24 pcie lanes, of which 20 are shared to the first m.2 and the primary pcie slot and any other pcie lanes the board has, then the additional x4 are used as a link to the chipset, the chipset carries a few lanes but i dont know off by heart (its not many) thease are then split to the avabible sata ports and the second m.2, if you use most of the avalible connections it can severely limit the bandwith of say the gpu and the primary m.2.

i run 2*500gb 980 m.2's and i did run 2*2tb 870 qvo ssd's but have removed one as its not used anymore.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you all for the advice,

i will most likely only reconnect my SSD drive and leave the 2 x 2TB drives out and creat a Network drive with it I think... most of my smaller files are saved on google drive anyway so I can lose a bit of storage...

I'm going to stress test the PC and see what's happening.... on 3dMark and other benchmark programs it says the hardware is running fine, but il use the ones listed above and post any results.

should the results come back fine I will opt to wipe the PC and give it a fresh install (always try and avoid this because of the number of backups I need to do on programs/settings etc)

il check back in soon once I've done the above, thanks again

Associate
OP
Ever get that feeling when you just want to throw your PC in the bin? lol

well I've not even had a chance to do any of the above yet with me being between shifts...
this morning I was just relaxing on football Manager on 1 screen and a browser based game on the other, and a youtube video on the 3rd... the 3rd monitor started to get a pixelated effect on it(like when the old style tv's were not quite tuned in properly) so I unplugged it, then my main monitor, monitor 1 started getting random flickers like a photographers camera flash randomly... happens for a few minutes when watching a video but not when no video is playing...
I'm really at a loss with this now, not sure if its software issue or my gfx card its self....

Associate
OP
Did you try your old Gpu?
Not yet, I struggled to get to the clip to get the new GPU out… and at the time I was short on time so I didn’t want rush and brake anything more then it already is…

But I will be testing it… when I can get the new one out

Associate
OP
Ok well today it went laggy again just while playing a web based game...

later on I will try again to get my new card out and try with my old one.... i did run GPU-Z today and I cant see anything wrong with whats on there... does anyone else?

rkz.png

Associate
OP
I ran a gfx card stress test and i have uploaded how my gfx card numbers were showing when the stress test had been running for about 5 minutes...
35e.png

Associate
OP
i was looking at my temps this morning when it started to go laggy and I noticed a few at 90c, I'm not sure if this is a sign of anything :(
temps.jpg

Soldato
gpu looks good and running at correct link speed, which motherboard do you have as looking at your latest scrren shot its normal for 1 to be at 90 as there is a sensor bug on most boards but to have a few that are high raises eyebrows a bit

Back
Top Bottom