PC not turning on, just a quiet buzz/hum

Man of Honour
We had a power cut a few days ago and the pc's in my house all went off. The two in the loft (vmware dev server and linux test box) are set to auto power on after ac loss, which they did just fine. The one in my study (general use pc) seems to have been adversely affected, when I go to turn it on nothing happens apart from a real quiet buzz/hum from inside which you can only hear with the case side off.

I'm really hoping nothing (major) is blown, does anyone have any ideas please? The 5v powed led indicator on the mobo is lighting okay so it's obviously getting at least some power... I'm just wondering if the buzz/hum is a standard indicator of a certain problem?

Soldato
i would suggest taking one of the psu's from the computers upstairs and trying the general use computer with it, to see if u can get it to boot.

if it does then u know u will be needing a new psu.
if u are unlucky it could have fried the board and you may require several replacement parts which if u can test individually (swapping with other components) and then you know what u will need to replace.

Back
Top Bottom