PC on a carpet

Associate
I have a new PC just built. Currently my study has carpet, and it’s sat under my desk on the carpet.

I fitted the PC chassis with casters/wheels, so it’s actually spaced off the floor by about 90mm.

However I don’t like the fact it’s on carpet. I can’t re-do a whole new floor in the study just for my shiny new PC (although I’d like to!) but the next best thing I can think of is to put a board on the floor to act as a solid surface beneath the PC

Question is: will that really be of any benefit? Am concerned about carpet fibres getting in but this might happen anyway just by fact it’s a carpetted room.

Has anyone got any intel or experience with this? Cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My old one was on carpet, super dusty. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a carpetted room, or, if it’s because it was directly above carpet. Now I have my kitchen door in place under my new pc, I’ll be able to measure it scientifically ;) still trying to find a super dust blower!

Soldato
I have a new PC just built. Currently my study has carpet, and it’s sat under my desk on the carpet.

I fitted the PC chassis with casters/wheels, so it’s actually spaced off the floor by about 90mm.

However I don’t like the fact it’s on carpet. I can’t re-do a whole new floor in the study just for my shiny new PC (although I’d like to!) but the next best thing I can think of is to put a board on the floor to act as a solid surface beneath the PC

Question is: will that really be of any benefit? Am concerned about carpet fibres getting in but this might happen anyway just by fact it’s a carpetted room.

Has anyone got any intel or experience with this? Cheers :)

I used to sit mine on some thick card board. I now sit it on an old floating shelf I had which happened to be almost exactly the same size as the pc. Both solutions were 100% effective at preventing intake of carpet fluff.

Soldato
My PC is on the base of some Ikea draws with casters, the casters help raise the computer up, plus I can move it easy.

So if you have any old draws with casters on them, strip them down and just use the base to place the PC on to.

Associate
OP
Made a big difference when I put my pc on my desktop tbh.
I’d love to do this, but my study is spatially challenged. But, I think I am noticing a much bigger difference of the pc being raised on castors and it not being directly on carpet. The airflow seems to be much better and the intake temperature sensor on the bottom outside of the chassis seems to be more accurate to my room ambient thermometer.

Soldato
Mine has been on the carpet for years and dust levels are a none issue - but I do vaccum every other day. Depends how dusty the room is or I guess if you have pets who molt all the time (or perphaps a hairy partner lol).

Associate
I use to by sheets of polycarbonate cut to size under my PCs on carpet, however due to cost I've switched to hardboard painted black on top and side with the smooth side down. Both methods make it easy to slide the PC out from under a desk if in a tight space.

Without that even with the taller feet some case have now, the carpet and underlay would cause PCs to sink in too far which could affect bottom fans and also leave dents in the carpet.

Back
Top Bottom