PC Over heating?

Associate
HI,

I think my PC, or CPU, may be over heating but im not sure. I have :

MSI KT4V - 6712 motherboard
AMD 2500+XP ( not o'clocked )

There is an akasa fan 80mm on the CPU, 2 80mm fans at the back of the case (one blowing in, one out) and a 80mm fan sitting just below my DVD RW at the front blowing towards the CPU. I also have a fan on my Hard Disk.

I recently bought a new PSU as i thought the old one was a bit noisy and old. First of all i got a 650W Q-Tec trible fan PSU (?) which was a bit noisy but got my temps down for Idle to about 26C for system and 36-38C for CPU (these readings are from Speedfan)

I decided that i was going to get a different one (mainly cos the q-tech was £50 from a shop and is £25 on most websites), so i got a Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU - Black Nickel with Blue LED Fan (CA-004-AK).

This is a bit quieter but now i have IDLE temps of 31c for System and 40c for CPU. These go up to 37c and 47c when doing something like converting DVD to AVI. The hard disk is around 20c.

The complete readings from Speed Fan at the current moment, and all my pc is doing is downloading from Utorrent and being nused be remote.

Temp1 (assume this is sys temp) : 31C
Temp2 (assume this is CPU temp) : 40C
Local Temp : 33C
Remote Temp : 37C
HD0 : 16C

This just seems a little high. especially when the q-tec Psu made such a difference.

I can control the CPU and sys fans with a fan controller and at the moment have the sys fans at nearly 2500rpm each and the CPU fan is at approx 3000rpm

Any ideas folks?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't worry about it, the Akasa is quieter because it doesn't have the fans going as fast which equals less noise but the temperatures are still fine. You are only a max of about 5 deg C higher at idle than you were with the Q-Tek and the Akasa is quieter and better quality :)

Associate
OP
Cheers guys. the problem is is that i never used to have to have the CPU fan going at 3000+ RPM. With my old PSU it used to sit at 2500 and below and only the CPU would be at the same temp as it is now. I just dont know why i need everything faster when ive got more case fans and a new PSU. I might try the voltage drop. at the moment its at 1.66. I was hoping to clock the CPU as well, but not sure whether too if im getting these temps. But im not sure whether speedfan tells you the surface temp or the inner temp.

Soldato
mate those temps are fine for the old athlon xp, they are fine to take upto about 60 degrees! so i would say u are over reacting on this one and should try and up the volts and oc it a bit.

Associate
OP
Ah ok, if you guys insist, ill stop worrying. Just didnt want the thing dying on me during a 3D render (i model using max)

Will probably end up getting a 120mm fan for the CPU anyway which might help.

What would be a good amount to drop the voltage do you think.?

Associate
bentura said:
There is an akasa fan 80mm on the CPU, 2 80mm fans at the back of the case (one blowing in, one out) and a 80mm fan sitting just below my DVD RW at the front blowing towards the CPU. I also have a fan on my Hard Disk.

I would suggest having both rear fans taking air out, would probably give you better air flow around the case and lower temps.

Associate
OP
Cheers for that Ring, (nice name) i was thinking of doing that. Im probably causing the air to not flow properly. Will give it ago. Thanks for your advice guys.

Oh yeah, does anyone know what the remote temp and local temp readings are in Speedfan, also is there a better program to use to monitor the temps?

Last edited:
Soldato
Those temps are quite low for the older Athlons... I could have probably fried eggs on my old Barton, it quite happily reached over 50C. My new 3700 idles at around 35C and under load can reach up to 50C after a while:)

Associate
Yeah I had XP 2500+ that hit 60C under load more than a few times and didn't have any problems, although the PSU did explode when I powered it up one morning but that isn't related. I just turned off the temperature monitoring software and didn't worry about it.

Associate
OP
nice, well its converting video at the moment and its doing 34c system and 46 - 48c CPU.

I was just a bit concerned cos i read that some temp software reads the surface temp and that the internal temp could be 10c higher, that would put mine over 50. But ill stop worrying if you guys thinks its cool :)

Soldato
50 degrees is nothing, AMD's spec sheets list many of the older althons maximum temperatures at around 90 degrees, Nvidia issues temperature warnings at 120 degrees. Intel P4's throttle back between 75, and 85 degrees, depending on model, and shut down if the temperature reaches around 115 degrees.

My old passively cooled 486 DX2-66 used to reach 85 degrees (external temp, so imagine the core temp) on a hot day, but it was never a problem.

Keeping chips cool is a good thing naturally, but there is no need to panic over a few degrees unless of course you are trying to get the very last mhz out of an overclocked chip.

Associate
OP
Cool, thanks people, you have made me realise that i was being a bit over cautious. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

If you notice a small explosion aroung the south of brum, that will be me :)

Back
Top Bottom