PC Permanently stopping?

Soldato
I am getting more and more fed up with bloody DFI junk now.

I have had nothing but trouble with this one and its gettign me beaten.

Right now, I have cured a hell of a load of verious issues with it, and its the most stable its ever been since I had it.

But, now, lets put aside the BSODs giving me RAM errors cos the RAM is flawless... It Primes at 300FSB in another board 24/7 so that to me says its solid... Its Corsair XMS4400 TwinX and according to DFI, thats the best choice of RAM, so its not the RAM.

The PC keep hanging, and the CPU takes up 100% of the time.

I have now managed to find a perfect way to get it to do this... WinAMP.
Well, Windows Media Player does it too, but not as bad... That only hangs for a few seconds but carries on... WinAmp gets locked in a permanent state of this stop-start-stop-start until I do something

It plays an MP3 perfectly fine, but after each and every song, the whole system hangs... one second I am ok, the next its dead, and its fairly reliable to do this, and the only way to get it to carry on properly, is to either not bother trying to play anything, or, if I am, then I need to click on the next song, then its perfect again? Its also fine if I stop each song and double click on the next... Its just when it tries to move to the next one itself that it has the problems?

Ok, so Audio Drivers, or Maybe WinAmp itself?

Different Versions of WinAmp do nothing to help, and its the same thing.

Different Audio drivers and even different Audio cards do nothing either?

IDE Drivers then? - Nope! - Does it with Windows' built-in IDE Driver, plus the NForce drivers on the CD and all the different drivers I have downloaded too!

So, what?

Bad sectors on the HD? I had thought of that originally as it does hang on copying/moving large files over, but then, that would more than likely be the PCI Bus being overloaded, but WTF?

BIOS perhaps? Another one this... I have a dozen or so different BIOSes and they all do different levels or reliability from bad to naff, so it cannot be the BIOS either? - I am currently running 6/23 which seems to be the lesser of the evils and this has allowed my PC to live longer than 15 minutes before a BSOD.

Oh, and it does this on 2K, XP Home, XP Pro, XP64 and 98, and it does it whether I install to a SATA or an IDE Driver, it does it whether I use the original CDs or if I have used my custom CDs, and yes, I have tried installing with a safe and an unsafe BIOS.

Sick of it I really am.

Asking for help yet again.

Back
Top Bottom