PC problem.

Associate
I’ve recently had this problem with my computer that whenever I leave it idle downloading for a long amount of time it will lose connection to the monitor. I tend to switch off the monitor to save power, but when I come back to wake it up it won’t come on. This has happened with and without my graphics card. I’ve ran 7 passes of the memory test and no errors were found.. Hard drive seems fine.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem maybe and what I can do to solve this?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I don't think it's a monitor problem. I think my computer freezes totally i.e. can't move the mouse and locks up because I can never shut down my computer afterwards. I've had this problem before whenever I'm downloading large files with the monitor on. I'm using a usb2 wireless adaptor. I've got all the latest drivers for it. Maybe the wireless adaptor is taking to much power from the motherboard?

Are there any programs to test my motherboard or other suggestions?

Soldato
Turn off all forms of powersaving and see if that helps matters any. You can get to powersaving through the screensaver tab on display properties. Set Turn Monitor Off, Turn Hard Disks Off and System standby to Never. See if the problem then repeats itself.

Associate
OP
I downloaded Speedfan and my hard drives are running at 22 and 15 degrees. CPU is running at 43 degrees. Overheating isn't a problem I don't think as I have 2 front fans comming in, one side fan in and an exhaust fan comming out. It's an Athlon 3200 XP they generally run hotter than average as it's an older chip.

I looked at the power saving tabs. They are all set to Never apart from the monitor set at 10 min. But there was a lockup just now before I left my last post. I was downloading at over 110KB/s. I would say all of my lockups have been with me downloading at high speeds. I'm 80% sure it's something to do with that. I have all the latest drivers and the wireless adapater is NetGEAR WG111V2. I've tried googling the model to see if anybody else has had any problems with it. Nothing much I could gather.

I'm going to try moving my PC closer to my router and using the ethernet cable and see if it still locks up when downloading.

Any other suggestions and advice are welcome..

Associate
OP
I've taken a look at Hard Drive Inspector and it says the drive I'm using now is in danger, spin up time is at 79% the rest of the yellow indictators are at 99/100%.

Back
Top Bottom