PC problem!

Soldato
Right, over 6 months ago I installed a 6600 LE 256mb graphics card in a friends PC, played a bit of the new tomb raider on it for about 30mins with no problems. Gave it back to him and ever since he has had problems with games either not loading (windows error, or the cannot use the graphics card or something error), or the game loads and then just freezes or crashes back to desktop.

So I have a look at it (test the pc with a ATi 9200, which works fine) I tell himI think the card is faulty, tell him to send it back which he does and they company say it was faulty. He gets a newer card instead (a ATi Radeon X850 PRO 256MB GDDR3 + DVI-I + VIVO), I installed it, played flatout 2 for about 30mins and left it on "replay" for over 2 hours, no problems. I tried tombraider for about 30mins or so, no problems and I tried a game which always crashed before "over the hedge" for 30mins (and left it playing for 2 hours) no problems.

Now I gave him his PC back today, he gets home and plugs it in (his PSU has a output for his monitor which I used when I plugged it in at my house), he turns his PC on and the monitor stays in standby, I tell him to try a diff cable but that doesn't work - so I say to try diff monitor, so he goes to work to borrow one. I told him to try HIS monitor on a normal wallsocket but that didn't work, so he tried the borrowed one in a wall socket and his PC loads up fine then.

BUT, all the games I tried and played fine no longer work!!!! Flatout2 locks up and he has to turn his pc off manually, tombraider quit to the desktop with a VPU error, but the game loaded up again and then locked up, and over the hedge doesn't even load it has some error saying something about the graphics card can not be used.

Does any one know what the hell could be going on?

<edit> With his old graphics card I tried loads of different drivers, with the new graphics card I just used the ones that came with the CD - I dont think updating them will help the problem. Also I used some tools to remove all the old nvidia drivers as I didnt want to format his PC.

Last edited:
Mitch007 said:
Could you post more system info, motherboard, disk drives etc... may be the PSU has been overloaded some way (with monitor attached) and damaged a critical output...

System load may help diagnosis

From what I can remember the mobo is a Asus a7s8x mx, it has 512mb of ram, athlon 3200 (something with that number in it), no idea about hdd apart from its 80gb IDE, PSU is a 400-450watt unbranded. Might be a long shot but maybe he has dodgy power sockets in his house or something :S

I will do tomorrow when I pick it up again. I just cant understand how it worked fine for me but not for my friend! Frick on a stick!

<Edit> Right the PSU is a Win Power ATX 450. My friend took his so called broken monitor to work and tried it on a work machine and it works fine, but still doesn't work on his PC, he also plugged the borrowed work monitor in to his PC at work and that now no longer works on his PC either (just stays in standby mode - he said if he unplugs the VGA cable the green light on the monitor comes on!).

I took the PC home today and plugged it in, first of all the PC posted (saw it on the monitor) then as I looked around at it again the screen was black and stayed like that so I turned it off at the wall and tried it again, this time it worked fine. I tried all 3 games which he was having problems with and they ALL worked perfectly fine, I left "over the hedge" on for over an hour (the level kept repeating itself as it runs for you and you're meant to jump and once you die it auto loads the last checkpoint).

I plugged my monitor in to the PSU of the computer, and the computer in to a normal wall outlet.

This is rather annoying, has any one got any idea of what the hell could be going wrong? I have my friend comming over on thursday to see that it works perfectly fine, and then I will be going over his to see it at his house to see if I can figure out what the hell is going on!

Last edited:
Well thanks for all the helpfull replies....

Anyway, I got my friend to come over to prove it was working fine and I sent him home with a APC surge protector (I thought it would be worth a try), his PC is now working perfectly fine :)

Back
Top Bottom