PC purchased - did I make a mistake?

Associate
Hey all,

I recently picked the parts and ordered this from OCuk:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,625.07 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

I use this for video editing in Sony Vegas, photoshop, and streaming as well as playing games.

I'm wondering if the 3800x is worth it over the 3700x? From what I can see it isn't for the most part.

And maybe more importantly, for the extra £100 over the 3800x I'm wondering if I made a mistake not just going the whole hog for the 3900x while the money is there? I'm likely to see an improvement in performance I assume given the spec difference.

Same question re: 5700xt v 2070 super.

While I have the cash is it worth making those 2 upgrades and hoping OCuk haven't built the machine yet?

Associate
OP
5700XT and 3900X. My tuppence worth... the extra cores will come in handy for the video stuff

Thanks!

I assume the 3900x will also help for streaming? Currently i don't stream games but will soon.

Not much difference between 5700xt I bought and any of the 2070s then?

Any other changes you'd make to the build?

Does the 3900x require any changes to PSU, RAM or MOBO?

Soldato
You could have saved money on those SSD's also tbh, while the Samsung drives are still good I feel they're heavily overpriced, you can get on par 1TB NvME drives for around £100.

Getting more cost effective drives would save you a chunk of the cost of moving to a 3900X.

Associate
OP
You could have saved money on those SSD's also tbh, while the Samsung drives are still good I feel they're heavily overpriced, you can get on par 1TB NvME drives for around £100.

Getting more cost effective drives would save you a chunk of the cost of moving to a 3900X.

Any recommendations?

I did wonder if I needed one at 200 quid!

I ordered on 30th but hopeful with new year and how busy they said they were they won't have put it together yet

Soldato
Sabrent Rocket is a good call, they're currently going for £110 but you'd need to order from elsewhere, not hard to find if you google them.

Total: £119.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

This is another option, Gigabyte have UK based support and there's even an active rep on the forum if you ever need help.

It's a shame, the Gigabyte drive as well as a few other options were around £95-100 from Black Friday right up until after Christmas. If you put the order in on the 30th there's a chance they might honour the cheaper price on the Gigabyte drive, no harm in asking if you ring them up.

Associate
OP
Sabrent Rocket is a good call, they're currently going for £110 but you'd need to order from elsewhere, not hard to find if you google them.

Total: £119.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

This is another option, Gigabyte have UK based support and there's even an active rep on the forum if you ever need help.

It's a shame, the Gigabyte drive as well as a few other options were around £95-100 from Black Friday right up until after Christmas. If you put the order in on the 30th there's a chance they might honour the cheaper price on the Gigabyte drive, no harm in asking if you ring them up.

Thanks.

Only issue is I want to get it all from OCUK as they're building it for me.

Built last 2 but I decided to go stress free this time :)

Edit - I'll check about the gigabytes one. Maybe just upgrade the CPU and be done.

Only other thing was mobo. Saw a lot of people recommending Aorus.

Soldato
I'd go for the Gigabyte drive over the Samsung then, saves you a bit of cash and in real world use I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Only other thing was mobo. Saw a lot of people recommending Aorus.

The Aorus Elite is fantastic, I think it goes for around £200-210, not sure if you need the built in wi-fi or not though.

Associate
OP
I'd go for the Gigabyte drive over the Samsung then, saves you a bit of cash and in real world use I doubt you'll notice the difference.

I don't really.

Worth the swap then? What would main difference be?

The Aorus Elite is fantastic, I think it goes for around £200-210, not sure if you need the built in wi-fi or not though.

Soldato
A tad confused on your response given the formatting, I'm guessing you're asking about the differences between the mobos?

Better VRM's and one or two additional features on the Aorus Elite when compared to the TUF Gaming.

https://i.redd.it/2iwdy5wrrly31.png

For the price range the Elite is my go-to suggestion unless onboard w-fi is needed.

Associate
OP
A tad confused on your response given the formatting, I'm guessing you're asking about the differences between the mobos?

Better VRM's and one or two additional features on the Aorus Elite when compared to the TUF Gaming.

https://i.redd.it/2iwdy5wrrly31.png

For the price range the Elite is my go-to suggestion unless onboard w-fi is needed.

Apologies, was on phone and it formatted weirdly.

That's what I was wondering yeah - main differences. Maybe I'll see if they'll change the mobo as well then as I don't think I really need wifi.

Mobo to Aorus Elite and CPU to 3900x then I think I'm set.

Hopefully I've got the correct RAM, Case, PSU and basically everything else at this point.

I'll have a think about the SSD, I may just keep the Samsung if they're better.

Soldato
From a technical standpoint the Samsung drive can achieve greater speeds, from an actual usage standpoint I doubt you'll notice the difference between it and the Gigabyte. Both are extremely fast and will perform very well, on my end I'd save the cash and put it towards something else, maybe 32GB of RAM over the 16 for example? Given what you're using your rig for it might come in handy.

Everything else looks good to be honest, you've done a good job choosing components.

Associate
OP
From a technical standpoint the Samsung drive can achieve greater speeds, from an actual usage standpoint I doubt you'll notice the difference between it and the Gigabyte. Both are extremely fast and will perform very well, on my end I'd save the cash and put it towards something else, maybe 32GB of RAM over the 16 for example? Given what you're using your rig for it might come in handy.

Everything else looks good to be honest, you've done a good job choosing components.

Cheers - appreciate it.

Its all a bit confusing when you don't stay up to date.

I'll see if they'lll let me switch the drive. Are you saying just the 970 to change, or change both the Samsung I chose for 2 x Gigabyte?

As for RAM there's already 32gb in there - 2 lots of the RAM above, so 4 x 8GB

Associate
OP
I didn't catch the RAM part.

You may be better off with 2x16GB given the setup you're aiming for only supports dual channel and not quad.

Total: £149.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

For example, less strain on the memory controller and a tad cheaper.

Aha, another change then.

I did just want 2 sticks originally but must not have been in stock or something.

I'd really better hope they can swap all this...

Associate
OP
I don't think it'll be a problem, give them a ring tomorrow morning.

Will do!

So think I'm swapping...

Total: £919.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

For...

Total: £940.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

For an extra 20 quid that seems like a pretty nice deal!

Unless there's any more advances on that I'll try and get that done tomorrow and next time I won't rush to buy ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
That all looks good to me!

It's understandable when you've the cash to buy some flashy new hardware, but it's definitely best to check in and have others give suggestions, no matter how competent you are it's easy to miss things at times.

Back
Top Bottom