pc stopped working

Associate
Hi

Just went to my computer and noticed it wasnt making much noise, i went and stood near it and it turned itself off.

turned it back on and no power to mouse or keyboard, and no picture to monitor.

open the case up to see that the motherboard has the green light on(K8N-E) and the fans are spinning but slower than usually(cpu seems to make some noise and cd-roms work)

Bought a new PSU from our purple friends just to test, exact same thing, fans spin but not to full speed and eventually the processor fan stops spinning after a couple minutes and the pc again turns itself off

my old PSU has a burnt out smell but still seems to work too, i'm guessing its the motherboard has gone.

just wondering if anyone has any other things i could try before buying a new motherboard tomorrow ?

thank you very much for you help.

When you got the new PSU did you also connect this up as well as the main 20/24 pin connector?
1.jpg

did you get any bleeps, what wattage is the PSU, try just connecting the hard drive with windows on it and no other DVD/CDRW or other hard drives.

Old Wino is on the right lines.. the system BEEPS are key... listein out for them... report back here with the results if any...

Bare in mind also that it may not be the mobo that has gone... at this point test everything "where possible" before forking out for new parts...

ManC

yeah i connected the main power and the one u mention.
i connected just the hd and nothing else but i get no bleeps whatsoever. just the same problem.

most likely to be motherboard ?? or ??

ok pc working now, needed new motherboard, unluckily tho my pc wont go past the windows xp loading bit because of the new mb i guess.

just wondering what settings i will loose if i install windows over the top ? will i lose my email settings etc ??

thanks

Have you tried booting up in "SAFE MODE" you maybe able to then uninstall the mobo drivers and reinstall the new ones.

Usually when you get a new mobo you HAVE to re-install everything

ManC

Back
Top Bottom