My existing system is.

Intel Xeon 5670
24GB triple channel
Full tower case
ATI 480
Coolermaster Stacker 810
500GB 2.5" SSD
PCI -E NVME adaptor with 1TB NVME
Noctua heatsink - able to get adaptor this HSF onto new CPU? Unsure of model, It's a large very tower with dual fan
USB 2 front hub
Unsure of PSU, possibly 800W Bequiet or Seasonic
27" 1440p freesync VA monitor, with a couple of faulty LED, will decide if annoying enough to replace monitor

If or when I upgrade will a motherboard, memory & CPU bundle fit ok
I wouldn't mind replacing the USB hub on front with modern 5.25" bay with USB3, USB-2 etc.

Are GPU's still ridiculously expensive or have they dropped down to sensible price?

For best value for gaming, AMD or Intel CPU this gen?
And for GPU, AMD or Nvidia?

I've just added two CPU/mobo combo of both types, and 32GB memory, just random things to see pricing, obviously not going to order two CPU and two mobo.

What budget do you have, and what use case do you have?

The noctua cooler be fine, just buy a fitting kit from them.

Do you want to stick to intel or look to AMD.as an alternative?

GPU wise pricing can be expensive depending what your after

Last edited:
And for GPU, AMD or Nvidia?
It depends, but with the GPUs you have quoted in your image the 3050 is generally regarded as poor value against the superior RX 6600.

The 4060 8GB has dropped to £250ish and that does pretty well against the RX 7600 8GB.

None of those CPUs are what I'd buy for 1440p gaming though, since their lifetime would be very limited at this resolution and rely on upscaling for the latest games.

For 1440p I'd want at least a 6750 XT (they're available around £300), but preferably a 4070 non-Super or 7800 XT (~£450).

If or when I upgrade will a motherboard, memory & CPU bundle fit ok
Yeah, there's nothing special about newer stuff if you have an ATX compatible case.

Are GPU's still ridiculously expensive or have they dropped down to sensible price?
They are WAY better than during the Crypto mining boom, but hard to call them great value. You can get a big upgrade to a RX 480 for not loads, since something like the 6750 XT is way faster than what you have.

For best value for gaming, AMD or Intel CPU this gen?
It depends, but since the general advice is to avoid 13th-14th gen until confirmed otherwise, you're realistically limited to 12th gen or AM5 for a new build (unless the budget is very tight, in which case a 5600/5600X or 12400F build is fine).

What else do you do with the PC?

If you only game, the 7600 is hard to beat and worth it for the longer-term upgrade potential, but the 12600KF and 12700KF are available at decent prices if you HAVE to have Intel.

The productivity performance on the 12700KF is superior to the 7600.

Noctua heatsink - able to get adaptor this HSF onto new CPU? Unsure of model, It's a large very tower with dual fan
Likely, but you will need the exact model to confirm that.

Back
Top Bottom