PC Upgrade

Associate
Greetings, I am looking to upgrade my current PC (parts listed below) with a new CPU and GPU to run Planet Coaster better and Planet Coaster 2 when it releases. Plus run some of the newer games coming out. I have a budget of 500-600 pounds. I don't mind also upgrading with any other parts if see fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£199.68 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism 2800 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.55 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£49.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£45.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.67 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI ARMOR OC Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (£659.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: CiT Raider RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
That game has a minimum CPU recommendation of a 12400T, with your budget I'd suggest picking up a 5700X3D (can be had for £140 sometimes but usually a little more from a UK supplier with warranty)
Your motherboard supports that CPU (might need a BIOS update)

That leaves you with about £300/£400, a 6750XT can be had for about £300 and then you could pick up a bugger NVME SSD if you need the space.

You could use a new CPU cooler - plenty available well under £50
Your PSU is fine for those components (an upgrade wouldn't hurt but I'm running broadly that rig on a 650W)
The RAM is fine, or at least an upgrade wouldn't net you massive gains unless you need more capacity or want to squeeze every single frame out.

OR

A 7600, B650 motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000 would be around £420 leaving you less for the GPU but you'd be on a better platform with a slightly better CPU and actual future upgrade options.
Sell your old kit and you might, just might be able to squeeze under £600 but of course you have that whatever option you choose.
Thnaks for reply, Would a gold rated slightly higher Watt PSU be more suitable?, I'm not really sure if the gold rating makes a difference as I currently have bronze?

That game has a minimum CPU recommendation of a 12400T, with your budget I'd suggest picking up a 5700X3D (can be had for £140 sometimes but usually a little more from a UK supplier with warranty)
Your motherboard supports that CPU (might need a BIOS update)

That leaves you with about £300/£400, a 6750XT can be had for about £300 and then you could pick up a bugger NVME SSD if you need the space.

You could use a new CPU cooler - plenty available well under £50
Your PSU is fine for those components (an upgrade wouldn't hurt but I'm running broadly that rig on a 650W)
The RAM is fine, or at least an upgrade wouldn't net you massive gains unless you need more capacity or want to squeeze every single frame out.

OR

A 7600, B650 motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000 would be around £420 leaving you less for the GPU but you'd be on a better platform with a slightly better CPU and actual future upgrade options.
Sell your old kit and you might, just might be able to squeeze under £600 but of course you have that whatever option you choose.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B650-PLUS ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 5 RGB 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL42 Memory
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£0.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 Core Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card
Case: KOLINK OBSERVATORY LITE MESH RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: KOLINK Classic Power 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Would the 7600x and 6750 xt be a good pairing if i upgraded to this please?

Change that memory, it's 1 stick so only single channel and CL42 is pretty slow - how much is it? You can get 32GB 6000 CL 38 for £90 if you want to save a few quid.

Why are you buying a 1TB HDD?

You don't NEED a new PSU, and not sure that one is better than the one you already have.

Check Hardware Unboxed for their B650 reviews when deciding on a motherboard, there are ones to avoid and that one is a dud.

A 7600 and 6750XT is, IMO, a good and fairly well balanced system.
thanks for advice, i was gonna get another stick of memory maybe another month for money reason and thats the hdd i already have. Plus I was mistaken I have a 500w power supply not a 650w. I will look into video on MB's.

7600x and 6750xt will be great together, though to save money I'd just go with the 7600 and enable pbo is bios.
I really recommend going for 2x16 gb ram though...not 1x16gb
the asus prime boards don't have the best vrm's so can get a bit toasty. I'd go for something like the gigabyte gaming x ax board for £150..cinebench test after an hours was 79 degrees whereas the asus board above was 112 degrees...ok for a 7600, but I'd pay the extra and not limit a future upgrade

Ok thanks, I will look into motherboards further. It was just the fact that 7600x was 15 pounds more and thought if it was an upgrade i don't mind paying it for that price?

Why the change to AM5 all of a sudden? Your best value options were in the first couple of replies. A 5700x3d is a big upgrade from your 2600x and doesn't involve completely replacing everything. You don't really need any extra memory as 16Gb is still enough for gaming, I certainly never had any problems with 16Gb. The guys have already suggested a decent gpu upgrade although a new psu would be a good move. Buy a good quality one not cheap and nasty rubbish such as any 80 plus white label efforts, Kolink garbage, CiT or any other "budget" brands that offer high wattage psu's at unbelieveable prices as the only thing unbelieveable about them is the wattage they claim to be able to deliver.
I just thought that while doing an already drastic change of cpu and gpu I could upgrade to something that will allow other upgrades in the future that would last another 4 years or more like the pc I originally have before upgrading but im still considering a 5600 or 5700 as an option if maybe it isnt neccessary to upgrade to an AM5 just yet??? Any brands that I should look for in a new PSU?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom