• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It seems like it has.

Data has been revealed that shows 30% of all PC Gamers in America own a PS4, that's after 9 years on the market.

And it also shows that nearly 10% of PC gamers now own a PS5 after just 10 months.

with a lot of Sony games now coming to PC I'd have thought in general there would be fewer PC gamers trying to move over.

So it would appear that the performance per dollar of the PS5 and other next gen consoles being far superior to a PC is weighing heavily on the market. Lots of PC gamers are buying a console because PC parts cost too much

Soldato
OP
How did you come to this conclusion?

Where's the data?
Why wouldn't PC gamers also have a console too?
What is this trying to prove?

Data from NPD Player Pulse analysis

https://mobile.twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1453665303876014082

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...he-us-owns-a-ps4-and-only-8-own-a-ps5.506754/

The only I'm trying to highlight is that PS5 adoption among US PC gamers is several times faster than PS4 adoption was. The PS5 is seen in a far more positive light than last gen was - and I'm only guessing that the reason for this is the competitive performance vs the average PC gamer who has a gtx1060 and can't afford a rtx3060

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Spending on PC gaming accessories grew 80% in 2020, spending on PC games grew 20% in 2020.
GPU's are selling out as fast as they are made.

The idea that PC gamers are giving up on PC gaming doesn't seem to be supported by the data.

I don't know why you think those two things are mutually exclusive. You can increase component sales and still not satisfy every potential buyer.

There is a few hundred million PC gamers. If every gamer decided to buy a new graphics card all at once, every single GPU AMD and Nvidia manufactured for the next 10 years would be sold out instantly. Components selling out does not mean there is a segment of PC gamers who can't afford to upgrade. I'll give you another example: 90% of all car drivers in the world today go to a dealership and order a new car and the other 10% decide to stop driving and scrap their car - every car the world can manufacture for the next 10 years would be pre sold instantly

And for the other stuff, tracking nominal sales isnt helpful. All you're tracking is inflation and other cost increases - when's the last time steam had a real sale, hasn't happened in years, so their game sales will be looking very good when not having heavy discounted sales means people are paying more for the same thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I still keep a gaming PC because consoles still have laughable performance in many games, which I struggle to overlook - for example the latest call of duty game having 2007 graphics when in 120fps mode - or a game I really want to play (Elden ring) sitting at 40fps on the ps5 and frametime spikes galore. Power to those who can live with that, but I can't unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom