Pc won't boot, need some advice

Soldato
I got myself a nice new harddisk box today, removed my secondary and primary harddisk to put the secondary one in the new box and to move them both around a bit.

Put them back in and i'm getting 1 long beep 3 short.

I did have to use a different power cable for one of the disks this time, so i tried unplugging it, still the same.

I could sit here all night swapping hardware about, but thats the last thing i want to be doing atm. Any advice on what to do/where to start is much appreciated so i can get this solved as quick as possible.

At one point while it was still on after it had beeped i switched a cathode on and the system shut off, so i'm thinking power problem perhaps.

Any specs/details i can give you to help solve this just ask.

So where shall i start?

Soldato
OP
Ok, unplugged the 2nd disk, still beeping at me. A quick look at beep codes suggests it may be a graphics problem, so I'll reseat that next.

Soldato
OP
We have life!
I poked the graphics card and the somewhat suspect connector on my audigy. Also turned off the cathodes.

Now i need some way of finding out what it was.

This machine shut off during a game recently and i think its the same thing. Must have upset it when i was moving things around earlier.

Edit: I'm completely flummoxed as to what it could be now.Wiggled my audigy connector whilst running and it seems fine, just a bit bent. Which leaves the graphics card. All i did was push it a little.
I don't want to try pulling it in case it sparks or fries.

Edit2: Can't get it to break again even after trying to pull the graphics card out a little to see if that's what it was. I suppose i'll never know.
Sorry for wasting your time, anyone who has read this. Wasn't expecting such an easy fix tbh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom