PC Won't boot with CPU Power Plugged In?

Soldato
Hello All,

Not sure if this can be answered!

A friend turned on his PC last night and nothing happened...no fans spun etc (although PC case lights are on)

After going through all the normal checks (no loose cables, 1 stick of RAM etc).

I tried the power cables...turns out the PC turns on without the 8pin CPU power cable plugged in, although nothing on screen (so doesn't boot), but CPU fan spins etc?

A long shot, but has anyone else experienced this?
I assume it's either a Motherboard fault or possible PSU issue?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the response.
It's a AM4 based PC, it has a dedicated GPU, not sure of the model...maybe a 980 or similar.

I'm going back on Sunday and will try a different GPU, I think it must be something to do with the CPU power...It's a strange one!

Soldato
I agree with what you've said, likely either something to do with the PSU or some sort of fault on the motherboard. Depending on the motherboard, you could try and perform a factory reset on the BIOS or try with another PSU initially.

Soldato
I assume they haven't replaced the psu/8 pin cable with a different one for some random reason?

Id expect it to be a psu protection it's getting triggered, ocp or short detection etc. Do some basic troubleshooting abs then rebuild outside the case if you can't find anything initially.

Back
Top Bottom