PCem

Man of Honour
I hadn't heard of this until I watched the LTT video on it below. Its kind of like WinUAE but for PC. It emulates old hardware rather than just the OS so you can configure a 'virtual machine' using actual hardware configurations from back in the day right down to BIOS level. I've been playing around with it to simulate roughly what my second PC would have been - P150 with Voodoo card in it and Windows 98. Think I might scrub it and create an XP machine. You can pass through your CD/DVD to it so can load up and run old games from original media. I think what I like about this over things like DOSBox is being able to have period correct setups and emulating real hardware so no compatibility issues with old things trying to work out what on earth a Ryzen CPU and Windows 10/11 is :p

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

It doesn't come with roms and of course won't discuss that here. You will need those to get going (for the hardware list) and for software, i.e. the OS and games etc.

Anyone else tried this or similar ones? What have you set up using it and why?

Last edited:
It does take a bit of fiddling, going to spend a bit of time getting an XP one set up this weekend and hopefully later try some old games on it.

Not tried it but first heard of it on here a couple of months back and it does seem really interesting and would like to give it a go.
Presumably you would start from scratch and install an OS as you would if you just built a machine from back then?
Yes once you have some ROMs for hardware options you have a blank canvas so would need to mount an ISO for an OS :)

What a great setup, so many classic games there. I'll take a look at 86Box as well.

To answer @Metalface Mark, yes the LTT video wasn't a full tutorial as Anthony had already set it up for him so it was very brief on that part.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom