PCI or USB Wifi?

Associate
Hello all,

I am thinking of going for these components for my first ever proper gaming P.C.:

CPU & Cooler: Intel i7-8700K overclocled to 4.8GHz & Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
RAM: Corsair-Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
SSD: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HD: Seagate-Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' 7200RPM Internal HD
PSU: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Fractal Focus G case

I was wondering what everyone would recommend for my wifi. I understand the issues regarding wifi vs. wired, but due to several reasons beyond my control I am stuck with wifi. To be honest, I've never had much of a problem with wifi. My motherboard doesn't have any wifi, so I will need either a PCI or a USB wifi dongle. My question is this; what would you recommend? I have heard that, ever since the introduction of USB 3.0, USB wifi dongles aren't as slow as they used to be, and they can be extended with a USB extension cable if I needed to move it to get a better signal.

Are there any downsides to USB wifi dongles compared to a PCI wifi adaptor that I haven't been told about? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no good reason not to use USB.

No idea about that specific adapter.

You're breaking forum rules my posting that link to one of OcUK's competitors.

Soldato
If you go USB then consider something capable of using an external antennae and supported under different OS’.

If it’s just for light usage and the router is reasonably close with minimal obstruction, then buy whatever you like and see how you get on - for general browsing/streaming it becomes a moot point as long as you can hold a connection speed equal to or greater than your immediate need, for large file transfers etc. a better signal can make a significant difference.

Assuming you are on the same circuit, powerline may be more reliable, but it depends on the internal cabling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom