• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PCIe 16x issue

Associate
I'm running the following set up: -

Ryzen 7 7800x3d
Asus Rog Strix B650-A gaming
32Gb DDR 5 6000MHz ram
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 7800xt

I have 2 x NVME drives (Gen 4) in slot 1 & 2 on the mobo.

When firing up GPU-Z I noticed the Bus interface for the 7800xt states: - PCIe x16 4.0@x8 4.0
but when selecting the AMD Radeon Graphics (APU) its showing as : - PCIe x16 4.0@x16 4.0

This doesnt seem right! I had read that using an NVME drive in either slot 1 or 2 would not impact the GPU lanes (only slot 3).

Have I missed a setting in the bios? Any thoughts?

Do I need to disable the integrated AMD apu?

Last edited:
Ive removed the NVME and reseated the GPU still the same thing
I tried pressing the question mark to the side of the Bus setting in GPU-Z and ran the render test but no change.....hmmm

update:
  • I reset the CPU
  • Loaded Optimised settings in BIOS
  • Put my old GPU in to test (6800xt)
  • GPUZ shows x16!!!
  • swapped GPU for my new 7800xt and back showing x8
could this be a defective GPU?

My brother is coming round today with his PC to sort some fan issues out so I will test the 7800xt in his rig. That should confirm it (or not)

Could be a damaged card, my 7900xtx had the very same issue, closer inspection of my card revealed a damaged filter cap near the pcie slot fingers, thankfully @Vince very kindly fixed the damaged part and my card is running again a x16 gen4, i would give your card a very close look at the surface components you can see, if any look funny or out of place then you could very well have a issue like me, if everything looks ok then there could be a deeper problem, try the card in a second pc, if still at x8 i'd opt for a return for replacment under warranty.

a link to the fix https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...900-xt-x-owners-thread.18964086/post-37298448

Last edited:
update:
  • I reset the CPU
  • Loaded Optimised settings in BIOS
  • Put my old GPU in to test (6800xt)
  • GPUZ shows x16!!!
  • swapped GPU for my new 7800xt and back showing x8
could this be a defective GPU?

My brother is coming round today with his PC to sort some fan issues out so I will test the 7800xt in his rig. That should confirm it (or not)
I did wonder if AMD had started producing them with 8 lanes or something, then I saw you have a Nitro, so seems pretty unlikely that would be the test case :o

Thanks for all the suggestions, It looks like its the card is defective as I have now tested it in my brothers PC and it does the same.
He is running a ASUS Tuf 6800xt on a Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 board. He has various NVME drives in both of his slots.
I ran GPUz on his system before I started and its [email protected] as it should, I then swapped out his GPU for the 7800xt and its showing [email protected].
I always press the render button to put the gpu under load and no change after a few mins (at 70% +).

I then put my old 6800xt in his pc and it was straight back up to x16.

No visible damage on the card whatsoever (just bought off these forums and its immaculate). I have spoken with the seller and they're going to RMA it.
Probably just an issue that's gone undetected (as it doesn't impact performance too much but it should really be working at full capacity).

No visible damage on the card whatsoever (just bought off these forums and its immaculate). I have spoken with the seller and they're going to RMA it.
Probably just an issue that's gone undetected (as it doesn't impact performance too much but it should really be working at full capacity).
Did you try flipping the bios switch on the card?

Yes, tried it set to Primary, then secondary as well as Software mode but still x8

It's 100% the card now and as you tried it in another pc too that has ruled out maybe the card is not sitting correctly in the PCIe slot on the motherboard and maybe why you are not seeing all the lanes too or a bad PCIe slot on the motherboard or compatibility issues. Some cases can make the card not sit in the slots correctly and sometimes the cases come with too short motherboard standoffs and can cause PCIe cards to float above the slot or not make full contact on all the pins of the slot.

I'm saying the PCIe on the card is not working right from what you have said and time to send it back for a replacement while you can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom