PDA Advice for Student

Associate
Hi all

basically, im working temporary as a web devloper for a company, im going to be put on as a contractor next week as im heading to uni. I need something to organize myself better, so im looking at a pda. Req's:

Good calendar/sheduling software
Good notes software

===

Is wifi needed for a pda?

===

basically i'd like suggestions, preferably good battery life and a dock for charging would be nice.

Thanks all

(p.s. i think this is the right forum lol)

A while back the company i used to work for got new smartphone for everyone. There are a couple of descent ones out there now im sure. Good battery life plus doubles up as mobile. Just a thought

i have a treo 650 (palm os).

Free upgrade with orange (retails for £400 without contract). No wi-fi, but synchs with outlook well, and also supports push email.

I've also got GPS software on it and a bluetooth sat reciever.

I love it!

I'd suggest the Pocket PC smartphone route.

Best one out at the moment is the Tytyn. Vodafone, Orange (M3100) and T-Mobile (MDA Vario II) all have the phone but branded to their network.

If your likely to be browsing the net while out and about or making use of the data connection, T-Mobile is currently the best option. For £7.50 a month, the Web N Walk option will allow you unlimited Internet access.

Syncs with Outlook and supports Microsoft Exchange servers (if you have a setup at work). Also supports push email.

As a phone, call quality is excellent and being a Pocket PC means you can install all sorts of applications.

Cost of the handset varies depending on the contract.

GuruJockStrap said:
I'd suggest the Pocket PC smartphone route.

Best one out at the moment is the Tytyn. Vodafone, Orange (M3100) and T-Mobile (MDA Vario II) all have the phone but branded to their network.

If your likely to be browsing the net while out and about or making use of the data connection, T-Mobile is currently the best option. For £7.50 a month, the Web N Walk option will allow you unlimited Internet access.

Syncs with Outlook and supports Microsoft Exchange servers (if you have a setup at work). Also supports push email.

As a phone, call quality is excellent and being a Pocket PC means you can install all sorts of applications.

Cost of the handset varies depending on the contract.

Unlimited as in 3G, GPRS and WiFi? :eek: Maybe it's time I show Orange the door :cool:

Well, unlimited as in 2GB a month via 3G/GPRS. If your in a decent 3G area, it'll use HSDPA. Quite nice doing a speed test and getting 1.1 Megabits per second. :cool:

Wi-Fi isn't included as that would be charged by whatever the public hot spot company charges. W--Fi connections to your home wireless network are obviously free.

I have wireless at home but just use the T-Mobile Data connection if I fancy browsing on the handset. Its fast enough.

I've already downloaded 15MB since I installed a data monitoring program a few days ago. With any other network that would've cost a damn site more than the £7.50 T-Mobile charge for WnW.

I`d only go the above route if you want a phone with PDA functionality... if you want a PDA that can have phone functionality if you want to add it via a CF card I`d totally recommend a Dell Axim X51v which ocuk sells has everything you want including wifi and bluetooth and more for £290 with VAT.

I already have a phone on an existing contract, I was thinking of something seperate. My V3i's calendar isn't exactly anything special, ok for noting where and when to be places, but i need something which is more robust.

I'm hoping not to break the bank with this. On another nots, password protecting would be a big plus as it would be holding a lot of info regarding ip's and passwords.

any more suggestions?... are pda's really on the way out and are smartphone/pda's the way forward?

sadly yes it seems so... I use my Axim for watching movies and tv on its nice large VGA (640x480) screen, I use it as a sketch pad, I use it for listening to mp3s and dowloading podcasts, I write with it, its invaluable to me... I`d prefer it if it had a decent hard drive built in and maybe if the screen was bigger but then it wouldn`t fit in my pocket. I prefer to have my phone seperate. Carrying two small devices for me is fine, I like a largish usable screen. Using a smartphone just wouldn`t cut it.

Windows Mobile 5 comes with Pocket version of Excel and Word, it has calender functions, e-mail, pocket internet explorer, can use both CF cards and SD cards at the same time, you could get GPS hardware for it for about £30. You could connect to your mobiles internet access through bluetooth if the phone has it. Plenty of decent software available if you want better functionality. Screen size makes things easier to read, sound quality is equivalent or better than ipod quality. has a built in graphics accelerator that ables you to play 3D games... Games are pretty good though most are 2D.

Its a Palmtop computer

Back
Top Bottom