Penalty charge. Should I appeal?

Associate
When I was driving, the vehicle ahead of me indicated right and stopped to park in a space that was going to become available. Rather than stopping behind the car I over took it be manoeuvring to the left into a bus lane and returned back in lane. The cars being be made tge same manoeuvre as I did.
I received a pcn for entering the bus lane. I appealed stating that I only entered the lane to overtake. The council upheld their decision.
Should I refuse to pay and ask for a decision to be made by an independent arbitrator?
I feel fed-up and may just pay the £65 discounted fine.

Associate
OP
It seemed common sense to simply overtake.
The council said I should have waited.
Surely an independent arbitrator will see sense

Soldato
It seemed common sense to simply overtake.
The council said I should have waited.
Surely an independent arbitrator will see sense

I work with the sort of people you are fighting.. They would think nothing of spending mil £ to get a £50 fine paid.. Its not real money to them.. There is no reasoning there IS compromise...

Man of Honour
I don't care about the money. It's the principle. Why hold up traffic whe a car is waiting to park.

But the other way around is if people can make arbitrary interpretations of the bus lane rules it would all break down and hinder the movement of public transport (in theory). Although the implementation of road layout and approach by councils often leave people scratching their heads thems the rules.

Permabanned
Next time hold up traffic and don’t get a fine. These councils are becoming extremely ruthless. Stick to speed limits as well and at the end of the day Sid it don’t do what you think is right just obstacles he Council’s laws.

Associate
OP
Next time hold up traffic and don’t get a fine. These councils are becoming extremely ruthless. Stick to speed limits as well and at the end of the day Sid it don’t do what you think is right just obstacles he Council’s laws.
Point taken. I am usually very careful. First pcn I have had in over 10 years. Never had points on my licence.

Soldato
Surely a stopped, waiting car counts as a 'blockage or obstruction', in which case using the bus lane is allowed, per the highway code

Maybe request the footage (if possible?)and assess how much it looks like the car in front really was looking like an obstruction before deciding on further action.

Soldato
Some councils are scummy, there are money making traps like that in most towns now. Near me there is also a bus lane one, they put a camera where the lane ends to catch people crossing the line on the last 10 meters :\

They will always uphold their decision initially.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom