Pentium D 805 OC Results

Associate

**EDIT** Updated Temperatures after a raft of changes to my system
My original thread got buried, so I thought I'd just post my results here.

System Specs:

Hardware
PentiumD 805
Thermaltake Big Typhoon with SilverStone FM 121 Fan, AS5
Asus P5WD2 Motherboard
HiperPower 580Watt Original
2x 1GB Corsair VS DD2-533
Asus Geforce 6600
Maxtor SATA 160GB HD
Thermaltake Soprano Case, Dual 120mm Fan Intake/Exhaust

Overclocking Results: STABLE
CPU: 2.66Ghz to 3.6Ghz (180FSBx20)
FSB: 180Mhzx 4 = 720Mhz
Memory: (4x180) DDR2-720 Cas 4-4-4-12 (1:2 Divider) (!)

Voltages:
Vcore: 1.35
VDimm: 2.1
MCH: 1.4
ICH: 1.05

Temperatures:
Idle: CPU - 41C MB/Case - 28C
Load: CPU - 65C MB/Case - 36C
Benchmarks:

Non Overclocked - 2.6Ghz/ DDR2-400
SuperPi: 49 Seconds
Aquamark CPU: 7,720

Overclocked - 3.6Ghz / DDR2-720
SuperPi: 35 Seconds
Aquamark CPU: 11,200

Thoughts
I'm really happy with this now. Its run rock solid stable, temperatures are stable at full dual core load with throttling, and I've managed to increase DDR Memory speed significantly. I was very surprised with how far I was able to push it! So far I managed to sync the speed with the FSB! :eek:

Issues
I believe the temperature readouts from PC Probe are incorrect by an order of 10 degress. Part of the problem is to do with the Stack Cool techhnology on these boards - I may be getting some 'bounce back' heat from the bracket that is holding the BigT to the underside of the board and causing a bit of a hotspot nightmare.

I believe there is some kind of Heat issue with the board though - it is a fanless design and the Stack Cool technology doesn't work IMHO.

Annoyances :D
Forgetting to set the jumper on an IDE WD HD. Set it to Master with Slave, but no additional drive on the cable caused the ITE Controller to scan the IDE bus for around 45 seconds on boot up before finding the drive. Not only that, Windows paused for 30 seconds before resuming its boot up.

I found the problem after a few days, but decided to junk the old ATA100 drive in favour of a SATA drive anyway :D

Future Overclocking / Upgrades
I'd firstly like to get a full set of SilverStone fans - the 111CFM really is fantastic, and the noise isn't too bad. I'd like to get one especially for the exhaust, as I'm hoping this will help temper off the CPU temps by getting rid of the hot air faster. That being said, the air coming out of the back of the case isn't that Hot anyway!

I know the chip can be pushed Higher, a lot higher - I can post at 4.0 Ghz and I had a tremendous fight with getting it stable at 3.8 while maintaining control of the temperatures. I was beaten in the end as the temperatures were high enough to start causing throttling while I was upping the Vcore to get it stable. The one thing I did not want was a CPU throttling on me, I'd rather have a slightly lower clock and better temps/ no throttling.

Unless I pull off the 'Weird Mod thought' below and its has a positive impact on my temperatures, I won't be going any further without Watercooling - and a decent budget to do it at that.

System Performance & Price
Awesome. Pure Awesome. The Dual core really is a great help to me maintaining work load while using Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Lightwave and a variety of smaller apps while having no slowdown, no annoying pauses - nothing! Its really fast too in CPU intensive, Photoshop filters take a few seconds now.

Truly is a great 'Bang for the Buck' system :D

Latest Update
At the weekend, I made several changes to the system to try and improve the heat dissapation on the CPU, as 70C was just too much.

Changes I've made to the system.
Rebuilt the motherbaord:
- removed the NB & SB heatsinks, cleaned up the paste and applied AS5.
- removed the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, reseated the CPU, reapplied AS5 and made sure every nut was evenly screwed down, and that it was tight against the CPU. Found a holding nut that was 1mm away from the board.

Modded the Case:
- Removed the grill in front of the intake fan, removed the plastic guard infront of the intake fan dust guard.
- Removed the dust guard from the Exhaust Fan.
- Strapped a 120mm fan to the inside of the case - pushing air across the motherboard from the intake fan across the NB, the BigT HS and the VR heatsink.

Cabling:
- Performed a major tidy up of the Cabling, NOTHING is in the way of my air flow.

This has all resulted in some temperature come down - a good 5C off both CPU & Mobo LOAD temps, which is great!

Sorry for the long post, hope it was insightful though :D

Arthalen

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for posting that !
your information will coem in very useful for people asking questions about this chip !

im not sure where your going with the weird mod thingie, but if u didnt have a good contact now... im pretty sure you would know about it !
the smithfield cores do run quite hot so without watercooling i think youve done quite well. maybe just a re-seating of the cooler / AS5 would sufice? a lot of time and expense can be ruined due to bad AS5.
thanks
Rick

Associate
OP
R B CUSTOMS said:
...Thanks for posting that ! your information will come in very useful for people asking questions about this chip !

Your welcome. I enjoyed the project over all :D

R B CUSTOMS said:
...im not sure where your going with the weird mod thingie, but if u didnt have a good contact now... im pretty sure you would know about it !

I agree totally :p

R B CUSTOMS said:
...maybe just a re-seating of the cooler / AS5 would sufice? a lot of time and expense can be ruined due to bad AS5.

Which begs the question, If I reseat it now, do I destroy any good work I've done in getting it to run how I have it ?

The old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind :cool:

Soldato
exactly !
depends how much you trust your AS5 application.
is the BT a bugger to take of for the process of re-application ?
and remember it does take a little wjhile for the compound to settle in.

Soldato
startign to sound liek a bad AS5 application now tbh. if it was a bad contact im sure it would have started going barmy by now ( try not to confuse me saying contact / as5 app' )

unless your realy unlucky and the thermal sensors are inaccurate ?

Associate
OP
Well, I have some modding to do to the case this afternoon to improve air flow through, so while thats going on I'm going to have a go at re-doing the BT with AS5 again.

Hopefully, I'll see some Improvement and post back results.

AT LEAST I know I have a stable system to go back to :D

Associate
It will be better at multithreaded apps and if clocked high enough should match the opty I think , would probably go quite far with water as well. However it would be cheaper for you to get yourself an X2 unless you're looking for a second rig as you'll need a new board, cpu, mem.

Associate
OP
Can't comment on the Opteron for speed, but you'd be able to hit 4GHz+ on water with a decent setup. If you get the memory running fast enough as well, you can look at SuperPi in sub 30 range easy.

Associate
Mikey1280 said:
It will be better at multithreaded apps and if clocked high enough should match the opty I think , would probably go quite far with water as well. However it would be cheaper for you to get yourself an X2 unless you're looking for a second rig as you'll need a new board, cpu, mem.

trouble is the x2s are not cheap either, altho I agree the intel boards are expensive too

Associate
But for yourself an upgrade to an X2 would not be that expensive, if you managed to sell your opty for £100 then an x2 3800 would really only be £90, whereas the pentium d means a new board and new mem if you get a good board.

Soldato
Mikey1280 said:
But for yourself an upgrade to an X2 would not be that expensive, if you managed to sell your opty for £100 then an x2 3800 would really only be £90, whereas the pentium d means a new board and new mem if you get a good board.

Sell the opty for £100, free 805 + £20... sell the ram and mobo use the £20 from the opty. Free upgrade :)

Or, less than £90 anyway.

Associate
thats what i was thinking, i got some spare timing coming up in a few weeks.
I will look at it then.

to everyone elses point about the x2, you are probably right but that chip looks fun. Never done 4 Gig before

Permabanned
Ok ive never done intel before so im trying to understand the memory i need for an 805 rig. Im looking at the corsair xms2 which is rated for 675mhz at 4-4-4-12. Does this mean the max fsb i could run the 805 would be 675/4 = ~169. So if i wanted to go higher i would need to run a ram divider? But i was under the impression that dividers on an intel system had a big hit on performance?

Soldato
my mates JUST built a system based aroud the 805 and it clocks to 3.6 with no trouble what so ever click click done !
simply the best buy ive ever seen for a long time. i dont know what intel were thinking bringing this chip out !

idel is about 43C ( with some zalman cooler... not sure which ) not sure of the load as yet... ill report in though ! )
this is on a P5wd2-E with 2GB of ballistix btw

Back
Top Bottom