People who go into work sick - Rant

Soldato
Last week I over heard 2 women proudly saying how "They're coming into work despite being ill, why doesn't everyone else do the same?", following that having to listen to their coughing, sniffing and sneezing all day. Friday night rolls around and brilliant, I come down with a fever, hot and cold sweats, mucus on the chest, you name it. I'm still feeling worse for wear today. The biggest problem for me if I've only been at this new company for just over a month, and if I take time off sick, it'll make me look bad.

I don't understand how people can be so selfish, you just infect your work colleagues with your disgusting germs and make everyone else around you sick, just so you can get a gold star and a pat on the back for being a good little employee and coming in while you have the sniffles.

**** off back home until you're well enough to work.

/rant

Soldato
A cold infection is being spread before you even develop symptoms so by the time they are sick it's too late. Also a cold generally lasts two weeks which is a ridiculous amount of time to have off for a cold.

Man of Honour
**** off back home until you're well enough to work.

/rant

Many people don't get paid if they don't come to work and many corporate cultures frown on sickness.

This is why people do it. If there was no downside to having a few days in bed with a cold don't you think everyone would jump at the chance? It's simply not fair to just blame the people for being 'selfish'.

Man of Honour
As mentioned above often the infection has started spreading before there are any signs.

That said I've a more balanced perspective in terms of taking time off colds can impact different people at different levels and many jobs can be done in the days around the worst bit of a cold but for a good number of roles dragging yourself in at the peak of a heavy cold is just stupid.

Soldato
What about people who get on public transport ill or walk past you ill?

Your just as likley to catch from someone coughing on the way past i would have thought

Soldato
If someone has flu then fair enough but for a cold or cough then you are well enough for work. I think I would have been off work since August otherwise as ive had a cough since then. A couple of people at my work take about a week off ill for every two months. IMO thats just an extra 6 weeks holiday.

Man up and go to work

Back
Top Bottom