People Who Use the Word "literally" Incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Or simply when it's not needed.

I've long wondered why they don't seem to know they shouldn't be doing it. As it's the sort of thing that comes up quite often over the years, somewhere. It's similar, in that way, to people who don't seem to have heard that having a limp handshake is not a good thing - at least for a male. At least for a straight male.

And it's not just scally type chavs who do it. I've just heard a football TV commentator (not an ex-player) say "England literally blew the USA team away". And he must be well into his 50s. If they were literally blown away, surly it would have been hurricane Brian that did the blowing, not them.

I would have thought if the parents didn't teach their children about the correct usage, it would be covered sometime in their ten years of schooling anyway? But did your teachers ever mention it?

And while you are thinking about it, you may wish to post some examples of its misuse.

Associate
OP
They altered the definition in recent years because it became common usage for people to use it incorrectly - the classic, 'he literally put it on a plate for him' when talking about a player setting up a chance for a team mate, etc.

Yes, it was reported in The Mail a few years ago. But that is ******** isn't it. Jamie Redknapp was wrong to say Michael Owen was literally a greyhound. He's literally a Yorkshire terrier.

Associate
OP
OP are you Michael Gove?

Language particularly one used as widely as ours changes all the time live with it!

Well, it shouldn't. If you've got children, let them know that. And explain that people will think they are fuzzing idiots if they talk like that. And that it will cripple their job prospects and chances in life.

You must be new here..... I don't think you're going to like it.

And why would that be?

Are you the official meeter and greeter?

ban ban ban

I'll ask you again: are you trying to say something? If so, what?

Spit it out laddie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom