Pergola Canopy

Soldato
In prep for hopefully a nice summer I’ve just built myself a Pergola at the rear of the house (south facing), I now want to install a sliding canopy to hang beneath like the below.

Seems to be plenty of places that will sell a pergola with a canopy but not a canopy by itself, just wanted to check here if anyone knows of anywhere?

I’ve got a design for building one myself but just wanted to check if there was anywhere I could buy one premade for less effort.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
This is so British. We've had one weekend of sun and we're already thinking of expensive ways to stay in the shade. :p
Ha, but to be honest throughout the year we have to have the curtains/blinds partially closed due to the amount of sun that hits the rear of the house. This would allow the patio glass to remain clear but still shade from direct light.

Previously had a massive parasol but that wasn't great when it came to the slightest bit of breeze.

Soldato
If you are having trouble locating one consider a sun sail, you can get them off amazon with fixing kits for quite a good price. Whilst not retractable you can set them up so they are quick to put up and take down.

In prep for hopefully a nice summer I’ve just built myself a Pergola at the rear of the house (south facing), I now want to install a sliding canopy to hang beneath like the below.

Seems to be plenty of places that will sell a pergola with a canopy but not a canopy by itself, just wanted to check here if anyone knows of anywhere?

I’ve got a design for building one myself but just wanted to check if there was anywhere I could buy one premade for less effort.

Cheers

I stumbled across this, is that helpful?

Sounds like you could modify it as necessary as longs as its larger than you need.

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Sliding-Garden-Shade-Awning.html

Soldato
OP
I stumbled across this, is that helpful?

Sounds like you could modify it as necessary as longs as its larger than you need.

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Sliding-Garden-Shade-Awning.html
That is similar to what I'm going to be making making but at a faction of the cost, the above totals £400 with all components but I've worked out I can source materials for around £110 all in max. Already sorted wire cables, turnbuckles and fasteners/fixings. Next task is sourcing extra wide outdoor fabric.

In the interim I've fitted a cheap sun shade and whilst its not retractable its fits very well and does a good job of creating the required shade.

Caporegime
That is similar to what I'm going to be making making but at a faction of the cost, the above totals £400 with all components but I've worked out I can source materials for around £110 all in max. Already sorted wire cables, turnbuckles and fasteners/fixings. Next task is sourcing extra wide outdoor fabric.

In the interim I've fitted a cheap sun shade and whilst its not retractable its fits very well and does a good job of creating the required shade.

Any links to your current supplies? :)

Soldato
OP
Any links to your current supplies? :)
Amazon for 3mm wire kit, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0995CHRLR, there are plenty alternatives depending on your lengths and fixing requirements.

Struts for the canopy sections will just be 28mm Pine dowels and surprisingly the cheapest place seems to be B&Q.

With just the canopy material pending which I'm looking at now.

@GSXRMovistar any pics? looking to build similar although over decking and just sniffing round for ideas at the minute.

Excuse the mess, this was taken before the removed decking boards were recut and put back in place. Decking now ready for a quick clean, sand and re-stain in readiness for summer.

Associate

Cheers

Incredible garden for London. You must be worth a fair bit!

Back
Top Bottom